swiftsearcher
Sr. Member
Rebel, if you are right, I need to be out opening up the first mine and West mine I have already found - if they were depositories that is! I have to disagree with you on this one, as I believe Swift was a miner and did mine old Shawnee mines. That is the reason I haven't opened up the mines - too much digging to get to a mine where you would have to mine ore in the middle of nowhere. Plus in this area, Penn VA owns all the mineral rights, so you would be SOL anyway. I can tell you that Swift and his crew were melting a LOT of Silver. I spoke with my friend (who is coming in to look for the Great Cave with me next week) and was telling him about the HUGE FURNACE I found in this area near the forks of two creeks (actually, I have been at that furnace about 3 or 4 times). Anyway, it completely dwarfs the one pictured in Henson's book on page 51 by about 50 times or more!
Mr. Steely is right about Swift and these markings - in one journal he did state to follow the trail starting at Martin's Cabin. Then, if on the right path, one will find several trees and rocks with various markings. I believe I posted the pic of the old half-fallen tree near the mines and furnaces on here before - that had an ancient JS carved into it, that was mossed over. I have also found some markings myself in a coupld of rockhouses - again JS, along with a dead tree near the top of a cliff (and the Indian Stairsteps) that had "GIST" carved on it! So, there are literally hundreds of "markings" in VA/KY and other states from Swift and his crew. Also, one must be aware, as Dan Graybeal and I have discussed many times on the phone, there are FAKE Swift markings around as well - Dan even told me of people he knew in the thirties that would go around marking trees and rocks, making the markings look old, to fool others.
I am glad Mr. Steely posted about the gun carved on a tree. I have never heard that one. Although, I do know the branch where a gun dating from Swift's time was found in the mid 1800's, that was in the forks of a tree and supposed to have been a marker pointing to one of Swift's mines.
I sent Mr. Steely an e-mail with the pic of Turtle Back Rock and asked him this question, since he has over a dozen journals - does anyone have a journal that gives more specific directions to the Rich Mine from Turtle Back Rock? The journals I have and others I have read all simply state that the Turtle Back Rock is "NEAR" the mine and that is it.
Mr. Steely is right about Swift and these markings - in one journal he did state to follow the trail starting at Martin's Cabin. Then, if on the right path, one will find several trees and rocks with various markings. I believe I posted the pic of the old half-fallen tree near the mines and furnaces on here before - that had an ancient JS carved into it, that was mossed over. I have also found some markings myself in a coupld of rockhouses - again JS, along with a dead tree near the top of a cliff (and the Indian Stairsteps) that had "GIST" carved on it! So, there are literally hundreds of "markings" in VA/KY and other states from Swift and his crew. Also, one must be aware, as Dan Graybeal and I have discussed many times on the phone, there are FAKE Swift markings around as well - Dan even told me of people he knew in the thirties that would go around marking trees and rocks, making the markings look old, to fool others.
I am glad Mr. Steely posted about the gun carved on a tree. I have never heard that one. Although, I do know the branch where a gun dating from Swift's time was found in the mid 1800's, that was in the forks of a tree and supposed to have been a marker pointing to one of Swift's mines.
I sent Mr. Steely an e-mail with the pic of Turtle Back Rock and asked him this question, since he has over a dozen journals - does anyone have a journal that gives more specific directions to the Rich Mine from Turtle Back Rock? The journals I have and others I have read all simply state that the Turtle Back Rock is "NEAR" the mine and that is it.
A LITTLE "insight" from overhearing '' ''old-timers"... " NEAR'' is when you can "see" it from the MOUNTAIN TOP; "FAR" is when you can't "see" it (MAY be over the NEXT mountain ridge). In other words... something "far away" MAY be over the NEXT mountain ridge... AND! closer to you in today's miles... HA! ALSO, they did "things" by the "rising/setting sun"... EAST to WEST; getting THAT "bearing" for NORTH to SOUTH (like "reading" a MAP... EAST is on yer right hand... WEST is on yer left hand; you face NORTH... and yer A** is SOUTH...). Gotta be "mindful" that the EAST does change during the "seasons" of the year, especially SUMMER & WINTER; adjust "directions", accordingly... 
).








