Joliette fossils

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV & GC1023
JOLIETTE, SCHUYLKILL CO., PA - Pennsylvanian-aged petrified wood and fern fossils from the anthracite coal mines. From Interstate 81, take Exit 107 (Tower City) and proceed west on Rt. 209 into Joliette. At cross roads, turn right and proceed past a fire hall on left. Travel about 0.75 mile to gravel road on right and park at the chained driveway. Permission is not needed to collect on the property. Other dumps along the unchained road belong to Summit Coal Company with no permission needed to access. Abundant fossils in both the shale and sandstone.

Jeff (of PA),
This is in your neck of the woods. Do you know if this information is still accurate (as far as being able to collect there)? The website I found it on was last updated in 2006.
This is a new hobby for me and my son (Dylan). We were in Deer Lake last week.

Thanks,
Paul

allan

Oct 7, 2008
Vega Baja
I havent been there in a few years but you can also find them under the bridge on rte 72 under the bridge near the swatara ste park entrance. also found them along the road that goes thru the park but I dont think you can keep them from there

OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Allan,
I am still attempting to find out more about Swatara. It appears that the best (only?) spot in there was cemented up because rt 81 was in danger of being undermined!!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK Joliett Yes I Know the spot well
(Actually between KEFFERS & GOOD SPRING}
about 2 mile outside Joliett
that would be accross the road from
the Dynimite Company.

it is Owned by Rausch Creek Land & RCMS (Rausch Creek Motor Sports)
maybe leased by Tower City Trail Riders

Possably leased for hunting season by the Hunting Club
DKinPA Is a member of

I'll Send him a Link to this.

I Contacted TC Trail Riders a couple years ago
about Fossil hunting & Was told No Problem
but Stop by the Office (Bear Valley Road Office)

RCMS on the other hand would not allow me to detect their
property even with a Trail Riding Permit.
he wouldn't even discuss it.
I Think he wanted me to Lease the Land.

RCMS Will have your Vehicle Towed and You Arrested.
At least this is what I Heard

Tower City Trail Riders would
be the way to go for Fern Fossils

SWATARA STATE PARK
South of Pine Grove Turn Left & Then Right on
OLD STATE ROAD
go approximately 1/2 Mile
Fossil Pit on left side.
also Fossil Pit by the Bridge at the South end
of Old State Road which is What I think
you are Talking of.

Need Better directions ?
I Can add some Here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although the Whole area on this Map contains Fossils
Especially Ferns,
This is the area Pointed to

schuylkill_outside_gis-apps41963212149421.jpg

OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks Jeff,
I'm planning to head up to St. Clair this weekend and/or one of these other locations. Thanks for the info and maps Jeff, it will help greatly.

Paul :icon_thumleft:

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Hey Jeff,

As usual you have your facts pretty well in order.....but........let me add a few details:

All the land is owned by Rausch Creek Land Management.
My hunting lease is on the left side of the road and it begins just after Dyno-Nobel and runs all the way to the intersection at the stop sign.
The Rausch Creek Trailriders have no authority to sublease or grant permission to anyone to access the Rausch Creek land, neither does ours or any other hunting club.
All persons accessing Rausch Creek Land must be a member of one of the various leases and must sign a waiver of liability and a copy of the Landowner Use agreement. This is for obvious reasons based mainly on financial liability of the Landowner, as each "club" must purchase their own insurance which covers the individuals in the club as well as the Landowner. WE as a leasee of Rausch Creek do have the authority to report trespassers on our leased land to both the Landowner and the authorities.

Hope this helps. I strongly suggest that no one should access these lands without the proper written permission from the land manager who is located in the Rausch Creek office. Also, deer season opens next Monday and there will be a considerable amount of hunting on most of these lands since there are at least five leases I know of that sit in this general area.

DK

OP
OP
P.B. and Dylan

P.B. and Dylan

Dec 9, 2008
Berks Co. PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the info DKinPA,
Things change. That's why it's great to be able to have sources like you and Jeff that live in the area.
I have other spots that I can go to.
As far as deer season, I used to be a hunter so I don't plan to be in any woods during deer season, thanks for the heads up.

Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread