What's new

Just a thought about hoarding certain dated halves

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
2,260
Reaction score
31
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Anyone ever thought about spending enough funds to hoard all of the halves from a certain date like 2001-D to drive up the prices on them? I always wondered about that. Like the Hunt brothers tried to do with silver. What if some rich guy with $10 million or just $5 million bought up as many 2001-D halves as possible for face value to drive up collectible prices on them and selling them slowly to profit from it. In 2001, they minted 19.5 million 2001-D's so that's like $9.75 million worth. It's totally possible for some wall street tycoon to do something like that. If someone was able to buy up at least half of them, wouldn't the market value of them just go way up? I just pondered this since I got a couple boxes of all 2001-D's last week that I have to dump now :(
There's 300 million people in the U.S. and as the population grows, collectors grow too so at some point they will be worth more than face right? since not everyone can own one. Well maybe I'm dreaming but if the population was a billion like China, I bet there would be more than face value on a 2001-D half.
What's the worst that can come of it? No loss other than storing them somewhere.

I guess the answer to the question would be how many coin collectors are there in the U.S.? That will determine the price and availibility of a coin.
 
Upvote 0
Anyone with enough money to do something like you suggest probably would be investing in other areas with a quicker return. I fully understand what the Hunt brothers did but don't see a correlation between hoarding a regularly traded precious metal and a clad half dollar.

That being said. If one were to hoard a specific issue of the Half Dollar I would think that it would have to be one with a much lower mintage. Using your example, there would still be over nine million coins available for collectors. I would question how many collectors of clad Kennedy Half Dollars even really exist to drive the demand. Going with say, the 2008 issue with a mintage of 1.7 million, I would presume that a well healed person that set out to hoard those could effect an overall price increase in the market. How long would it take and would it be worth it though?

Does anyone have a current estimate of how many U.S. coin collectors there are?
 
There are 2 aspects to value. Supply and demand. Just becuase you buy up 90% of XXXX year coin, doesnt mean others will want to buy it. The coins still exist, it's not like when the mint only produces 100,000 of a certain year coin.
 
Ummm, it would probably take a lifetime to actually track down all of one type of coin. How do you propose one would do that?
 
Jason in Enid said:
There are 2 aspects to value. Supply and demand. Just becuase you buy up 90% of XXXX year coin, doesnt mean others will want to buy it. The coins still exist, it's not like when the mint only produces 100,000 of a certain year coin.

Iagree, just because there is no supply dose not mean there is a demand. Nice thought, but you would also have to supply a demand, how would you get coin collectors to want clad kens? any year?
HH.
 
DigginThePast said:
Anyone with enough money to do something like you suggest probably would be investing in other areas with a quicker return. I fully understand what the Hunt brothers did but don't see a correlation between hoarding a regularly traded precious metal and a clad half dollar.

That being said. If one were to hoard a specific issue of the Half Dollar I would think that it would have to be one with a much lower mintage. Using your example, there would still be over nine million coins available for collectors. I would question how many collectors of clad Kennedy Half Dollars even really exist to drive the demand. Going with say, the 2008 issue with a mintage of 1.7 million, I would presume that a well healed person that set out to hoard those could effect an overall price increase in the market. How long would it take and would it be worth it though?

Does anyone have a current estimate of how many U.S. coin collectors there are?
i agree...to make that much $$$ you would have to already have a really good system of making money 8)
keep it up and hh!
 
Yeah, that's what I had thought.. it would depend on demand and how many collectors there are. I was think of the 2001-D since it was the last one issued for circulation where one can get it for face value. For the 2008 half, one has to buy it at a premium from the mint.

I remember I read some article about some guy that owned the majority of 1982 no "P" dimes. Those are a rarity.
 
SFBayArea said:
Yeah, that's what I had thought.. it would depend on demand and how many collectors there are. I was think of the 2001-D since it was the last one issued for circulation where one can get it for face value. For the 2008 half, one has to buy it at a premium from the mint.

I remember I read some article about some guy that owned the majority of 1982 no "P" dimes. Those are a rarity.

I would do 2000D over 2001D, as there are a lot less of them. But actually, since the demand is so low for halves no one would noticve the lack of 200D halves eeven if you took them all out of circulation. Noone WANTS them, so the demand part of the dquation makes it not work.

I thought of the same thing with some dimes, as they would take less space and money. Decided against it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom