What's new

Chevron's CEO Just Said What OPEC Won't: The Fuel Crisis Is Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrying water. Cleaning stall. Brushing. Currying. Vet bills. Farrier.
I've bought plenty of hay and grain. I've cut hay by hand and wheel borrowed it to horses.
Cutting fence posts. Planting them. Stringing wire.
Buying gas for a motorized horse is a luxury in comparison. In those days I averages 30-35 cents worth of gas at the pump for the motorbike.
But then there were times I didn't have a cent on me too.
Pump fuel is till a bargain to me. Plus the ever popular convenience!

Conserving energy is worth it when cost and production of more gets to a price point people on the buying end cringe.
Us prior 100 mileish round trip workers learned to carpool years back. In a state if not country in which people were more willing to complain about fuel costs yet still drive solo.


Yes we pay more when fuel costs go up.
Remember railroad trains and their hassles?
The semi trucks hauling more freight today still burn a lot of diesel.
Beat up and long abused 2011 cart I put a new technology battery in. And did more work to of course, it has labored long for me after many hands roughed it along prior.
Expect an early on 30 mile cruising range. compared to a horse I'll keep it. And I like horses.

I recall the 70's gas crisis. We're just bugeyed about costs this week.
Try not being able to buy any.. Yes we were there before. A learned...well something about a reserve might be a buffer or emergency or...Well we have supply lines anyways and the middle East isn't so unstable that it's never not unstable so there's other places.. (Yes we learn. We just don't apply it.)

One thing about a horse /mule/donkey , burro, llama, is when it keels over you can get steaks and a blanket or leather out of the deal. Plus all the prior natural fertilizer.

1789745044490.webp



1789745116060.webp
 
Last edited:
742.webp

Adapt conserve reuse repair.
The red c-clamp on the potientmeters case by the battery to compensate for a damaged tab in slot is temporary maybe. Aren't most things?
 

Attachments

  • 20260822_161247.webp
    20260822_161247.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20260822_161043.webp
    20260822_161043.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
The red c-clamp on the potientmeters case by the battery to compensate for a damaged tab in slot is temporary maybe. Aren't most things?
On a long enough time scale, everything is temporary.
 
Carrying water. Cleaning stall. Brushing. Currying. Vet bills. Farrier.
I've bought plenty of hay and grain. I've cut hay by hand and wheel borrowed it to horses.
Cutting fence posts. Planting them. Stringing wire.
Buying gas for a motorized horse is a luxury in comparison. In those days I averages 30-35 cents worth of gas at the pump for the motorbike.
But then there were times I didn't have a cent on me too.
Pump fuel is till a bargain to me. Plus the ever popular convenience!

Conserving energy is worth it when cost and production of more gets to a price point people on the buying end cringe.
Us prior 100 mileish round trip workers learned to carpool years back. In a state if not country in which people were more willing to complain about fuel costs yet still drive solo.


Yes we pay more when fuel costs go up.
Remember railroad trains and their hassles?
The semi trucks hauling more freight today still burn a lot of diesel.
Beat up and long abused 2011 cart I put a new technology battery in. And did more work to of course, it has labored long for me after many hands roughed it along prior.
Expect an early on 30 mile cruising range. compared to a horse I'll keep it. And I like horses.

I recall the 70's gas crisis. We're just bugeyed about costs this week.
Try not being able to buy any.. Yes we were there before. A learned...well something about a reserve might be a buffer or emergency or...Well we have supply lines anyways and the middle East isn't so unstable that it's never not unstable so there's other places.. (Yes we learn. We just don't apply it.)

One thing about a horse /mule/donkey , burro, llama, is when it keels over you can get steaks and a blanket or leather out of the deal. Plus all the prior natural fertilizer.

View attachment 2265562


View attachment 2265563
I was a odd day fillup, and remember the long lines...

I remember gas went from about .35 cents a gallon to .51/.52 cents a gallon, trick was finding a station without long lines on your day that you were allowed to buy gas. I was driving a '63 VW bug then with a sunroof that was the entire roof, when opened it exposed both front and rear seats were

If I remember it correctly, it started in fall of '73 , and ended sometime in spring of '74...
 
i bet you wish you still had that car!
It would be worth a lot now. It was good in Florida, but it sucked in temps below 32°f, no heat blowing unless moving, it really sucked at -20°f in Minnesota and Nebraska.

I sold it in 1975 and bought my '76 Chevy van, then I had it fully customized.

Picture is few months before I sold VW in Nebraska after blizzard.

1789749997861.webp


Oh the fun I had in the 70s when your single, making good money and driving a hotel room.

1789750094805.webp



1789750134594.webp



Wife's car is a Mazda CX5 SUV, ( not electric, or hybrid) it gets 32.5 mph on hwy, 22.5 in city. My truck gets 15-17 mpg so most drives at moment is in wife's car.
 
Last edited:
I stopped to fill up the F250. The station was limiting purchases to $100 per transaction so I had to run the card through twice to fill up. I remember 29 to 33 cents per gallon in the early 70's before the Embargo. Back when you could just put a dollars worth in to go somewhere or ride around all night.
 
Paid $3.95 yesterday for 1/4 tank gas, I rarely let my truck or wife's SUV to get below 3/4 full before filling up.
I didn't pay for the wind yesterday nor I will tomorrow. Its never a good idea to make yourself depended on something that happens on the other half of the planet. Time to get back to horses and sails!
 
I didn't pay for the wind yesterday nor I will tomorrow. Its never a good idea to make yourself depended on something that happens on the other half of the planet. Time to get back to horses and sails!
LOL, only way that happens will be after the fall of civilization.
 
The way things are going, you may not have long to wait.

I'm not concearned, I've lived through a lot worse, Cuban Missle Crisis, would US get drawn into Israel's 7 day war, North Korea seizing USS Pueblo, Viet Nam, cold war, and so on.

In 60s at height of coldwar USSR would launch flights of Tu-95 Bear Bombers over the Bearing Sea towards America to see our response using their satellites, we in turn not knowing if it was an attack launched fighters and every nuclear armed B-52 we had towards established failsafe points, our missile silos were put on alert, doors were opened. Can't count how many times it happened, we were in harden shelters waiting to see what happens next. but it was multiple times a year.

There is so much the average American is never ever aware of when it comes to the dangers we face.

The old 1964 movie Failsafe with Henry Fonda, Larry Hagman and Walter Matthau is based on this.

On another note in last 5 years over 1400 individuals on the terrorist watch list have been arrested trying to enter America, and those are just the ones we caught.
 
Last edited:
I'm not concearned, I've lived through a lot worse, Cuban Missle Crisis, would US get drawn into Israel's 7 day war, North Korea seizing USS Pueblo, Viet Nam, cold war, and so on.

In 60s at height of coldwar USSR would launch flights of Tu-95 Bear Bombers over the Bearing Sea towards America to see our response using their satellites, we in turn not knowing if it was an attack launched fighters and every nuclear armed B-52 we had towards established failsafe points, our missile silos were put on alert, doors were opened. Can't count how many times it happened, we were in harden shelters waiting to see what happens next. but it was multiple times a year.

There is so much the average American is never ever aware of when it comes to the dangers we face.

The old 1964 movie Failsafe with Henry Fonda, Larry Hagman and Walter Matthau is based on this.

On another note in last 5 years over 1400 individuals on the terrorist watch list have been arrested trying to enter America, and those are just the ones we caught.
You know when the storm abates, when you think you get over the worst, when you are tired - this is the most dangerous moment. Good sailor knows this but those helmsman of today they do not.
 
Fuel demand has very little elasticity. Means higher prices do not lead to reduced consumption. It rather leads to reduced consumption in other sectors as compensation. Also it is not just fuel but every mineral oil based product which is almost everything one can get his hand on. Food is in the modern economy less based on the sun then on mineral oil and fertilizers for harvest, transport and grow.

If the crisis is temporal then draining the reserves will keep the wheel spinning. I rather do not describe what happens if we meet the bottom of the barrel.
Never fear my gas guzzling friends, there will be 600 to 1200 mi range batteries that fully charge in less than 20 minutes... look for them in 2030-31. With battery cooling technology already on the road in Japan it won't be long. Batteries without cooling drain 70% faster than cooled ones. All these Lithium constructs popping up (owned primarily be S. Korea) will be the first victims of the evolution.

dz
 
The effects of high prices are not just on fuel; it drives up inflation. So even if you have a car, or a sailboat, or a horse, it does not matter; you still pay for it one way or another, driving up the cost of goods and services. It drives up unemployment, domestic violence, crime, and social discontent. And you can see the polarization all around the world brewing. Most developed countries are carrying too much debt from years of a revolving door of poorly executed projects by career public servants with no real-world business life experience, gambling with taxpayers' money.

It does not matter where you live in the world; it's the most vulnerable who always become the casualties.


Crow
 
Oil has been over $100 several times. Inflation adjusted it peaked over $200. This isn't the first time government has FUBARd a commodity.
I will do the same thing I do when any difficulty arises. Spend less or make more.
Anyone in a position where a dollar a gallon difference compromises their life significantly---put themselves in that position.
I spent half my life living or serving overseas. 90%+ of the world would love to have the problems we whine about.
 
Well it’s interesting that Chevron has been the most prominent price gouger of all the fuel stations thus far I’ve seen. Consistently $0.50 to $1.00 more per gallon, and it’s not the Techron additive causing this. They will have record profits in 2026..who wants to bet?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom