Just another James/Brass Bucket/WMWR Thread

WheresWaldo92

Sep 21, 2023
Hello all! Just your friendly neighborhood history buff from Moore. I've been reading about the Jesse James/18 burro loads story for a few years. It always makes for a great story around the campfire. Does anyone know the year Joe Hunter died? I've tried Ancestry, Daily Oklahoman, Tulsa newspapers. Everywhere. And I can't seem to track anything down regarding Joe's death.

1 - From what I see on Google Earth and Google Maps, the James Gang clues follow a straight line SW/NE. This is the same area near Apache where Frank would sit for hours, gathering his bearings, according to Dr. Knee from Lawton.

2 - What piques my interest is the 75lb iron wedge, the 65lbs of silver in the washpot on Tarbone and the silver pitcher on Mount Sheridan in 1948 and 1949. But trying to find out when Hunter died leaves a lot to the imagination and helps fill in some missing areas.

Anyway, with that being said, does anyone know the year Hunter died and possibly the location of his gravesite? I sure would like to pay my respects. 16 years is a long time to search those mountains and canyons in SW Oklahoma.....

Attachments

• Tarbone to Buzzard's Roost.jpeg
    Tarbone to Buzzard's Roost.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread