What's new

Just clad and a ..........snake?

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 9, 2012
Messages
12,681
Reaction score
43,405
Golden Thread
1
Location
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried another park today. Nice day! Not much finds though. :dontknow:

2015 (605).webp

Notice how far back Blingie & Fishy are? ;)

2015 (606).webp
2015 (607).webp

I thought this was just an "S" hook. But, after
looking a little closer, I do believe that is a snake of some sort.

The little spot of rust appears to be a link, like from a chain.
The rest of it is non-magnetic.

See? Even on a day like this, I still found something interesting. LOL

Thanks for peeking!



2015 (30).webp
 
Upvote 32
First thing I thought off was "Don't Tread On Me". Maybe that old? :dontknow:

Pleasant thought.

But the tradition of snake buckles (looking very much like this one) go back even further yet... to at least 16th century England.

I will do a little more poking around when I have time.
 
That's the best kind of snake to find! Congrats!

Yes ma'am! They are something I stay VERY far away from :exclamation:

Anyway, for anyone who was wondering, I did go back and do a rather TIGHT grid in that whole area yesterday. I dug everything! And, got nothing. A fluke I'm afraid. :dontknow:
 
Anyway, for anyone who was wondering, I did go back and do a rather TIGHT grid in that whole area yesterday. I dug everything! And, got nothing. A fluke I'm afraid. :dontknow:

If you only got one piece of that buckle... you got the right one. :icon_thumright:
 
If you only got one piece of that buckle... you got the right one. :icon_thumright:

I tend to agree. I've seen them up for sale for over 200. So, somebody else appears to agree. ;)
 
These types of belt buckle hooks have been used for at least 300 years & they still use them today. The Navy used them recently. The one you have looks early 20th C to me.
 
These types of belt buckle hooks have been used for at least 300 years & they still use them today. The Navy used them recently. The one you have looks early 20th C to me.

Thank you for that kind and informative info. Jealous, huh? Just gotta try to rain on the parade huh. :)

Maybe you should let these people know, before they make a faux pas.

http://sgtriker.com/accoutrement.htm
 
Last edited:
Thank you for that kind and informative info. Jealous, huh? Just gotta try to rain on the parade huh. :)

Maybe you should let these people know, before they make a faux pas.

Sgt Riker's Civil War Trading Post - Accoutrements

I maybe wrong, the picture is hard to make out the head part, which gives clues to its date. Can you get better pictures? These are very tricky to date & lots of debate over the many different variants.
 
PS. If you can do it in sun light with both sides, I will research further for you.
 
PS. If you can do it in sun light with both sides, I will research further for you.

Sure, have at it! But, don't fret too much over it. I'm perfectly happy with whatever it is and will still be displayed along with the rest. LOL I haven't a care about the intrinsic value, (unless it's a million or more ;) ).

Sorry, these are the best I can do with my equipment.

2015 (608).webp
2015 (609).webp

HH! And thanks for your help!
 
Interesting.

The head side seems to be holding an Iron loop.

Am I seeing that correctly?
 
Interesting.

The head side seems to be holding an Iron loop.

Am I seeing that correctly?

Well, yeah, I mentioned that initially. I suspected some sort of iron based chain remnant. The little loop is only mildly magnetic, (probably because there's not much more than rust left. That might be a clue too. How long would it take for an iron loop of that thickness to completely rust away? ;) )
 
An interesting link on the history of Snake Buckles dug in the UK. (none of which are yours)

snakebuckles
 
Incredibly nice find WHADIFIND! Very interesting!
 
Very nice find, hope that you are able to get a proper date range for the snake.
 
An interesting link on the history of Snake Buckles dug in the UK. (none of which are yours)

snakebuckles

Thats the problem I having. Checked my book & its not in it & its pretty much as I remember, they started in the 16th C, fell out of fashion in the 17th C, back in the later 18th C & used to modern day. Many of them had civilian uses on elastic waist bands.
On balance, I've somewhat changed my mind & will go with 19th C, but impossible to narrow any further.
 
Thats the problem I having. Checked my book & its not in it & its pretty much as I remember, they started in the 16th C, fell out of fashion in the 17th C, back in the later 18th C & used to modern day. Many of them had civilian uses on elastic waist bands.
On balance, I've somewhat changed my mind & will go with 19th C, but impossible to narrow any further.

Yep, I concur. That's pretty much what I figured from my own little research. The only picture I found that fits was that one on Riker's site. If you look really close at the diamond "scales" engraved, you can see a sort of dividing line right thru the middle of each one. Small but very distinct feature. The stamp was made like that way. I was just hoping that it was special enough that it might be recognized as one from a certain maker.

Anyway, I appreciate the efforts and am reasonably satisfied with the age range figured. (Good nuff fer govt work! ;) )

Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom