What's new

Just Had To, Stunning Brooch.

robfinds

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2007
Messages
3,531
Reaction score
4,422
Golden Thread
5
Location
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello all, been keeping away from posting recently. Found it was getting too addictive. The hammered count is progressing well, and had some nice bits and pieces also. I know vanity is a sin, but I had to post this find from today. It's a stunning Anglo Saxon disc brooch. It shows four saxon faces in the angles of a cross. Even totally uncleaned it looks stunning.

Robert.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7235.webp
    IMG_7235.webp
    99.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_7234.webp
    IMG_7234.webp
    93.2 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 32
It's a stunning Anglo Saxon disc brooch. It shows four saxon faces in the angles of a cross. Even totally uncleaned it looks stunning. Robert.

That is an incredible find. I believe you need your 4th Banner for that piece. It's invaluable! A price just can't be put on a piece like that. Congratulations.
 
Killer find, Rob! Congrat's!!

Iowa Dale
 
ROB THAT SURE IS A BEAUTIFUL FIND .
 
I close my eyes and see it on the cloak of a wealthy women who truly treasures the piece she was given. It is awesome to see this history again after such a long time. Hoopla
 
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...st-find-year-better-picture-added-update.html

It reminds me of what I later IDed as a Saxon Shield Mount with 4 faces, but your faces are much more developed - indicating a later date.

It is a hugely significant find & very commercial. Not one I have seen a match for, but some similar, a great find.

BIG CONGRATS.


Cheers Cru, yes it's a nice find. Sent it away to be cleaned. Not really got a date other than Saxon. Robert.
 
Cheers Cru, yes it's a nice find. Sent it away to be cleaned. Not really got a date other than Saxon. Robert.

As far as I'm aware these images are late Saxon circa 10-11th C.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom