Just started...finds and questions *UPDATE for Silver Stripe*

lookin4coins

Feb 27, 2010
Hello everyone!

Cabin fever got the best of me. I started metal detecting in July of last year and got hooked. Since it's been a couple of months without swinging my coil, I needed to do a little coin hunting.... enter CRH.

I have been drooling over all of your posts here and decided to give it a whirl. I got a few rolls of dimes and quarters last week with minimal results. Moved up to half dollars at the end of last week and stayed there this week. Dimes are hard on my eyes and silver quarters seem to be scarce. Dumping the coins are somewhat challenging, but it appears that's part of the game.

Here are the fruits of my labor...

(The '63 Ben appears to have been a proof and the 2008 quarter is a silver proof. Also got a 1870 Diez Centimos from Spain in a half dollar roll today.)

picture-1.jpg

Here are my stats:

Bank A (my bank, large bank) = 5-$500 bags of halves produced 0 silver coins. $400 in dimes produced 7-silver dimes. $500 in quarters produced 2-silver quarters.
Bank B (out of town) = 2.5-$500 bags of halves produced 2-Bens and 10-40%.
Bank C (out of town, small bank) = $100 in halves produced the proof Ben and '64 Kennedy and 5-40%.
Bank D (out of town, small bank) = $40 in halves produced 8-40%.
Bank E = 1-$500 bag of halves produced 3-40%.

Questions...

Any theories why the rolls from my bank have repeatedly produced no silver?

I have noticed many of you folks get boxes of rolled halves. All the banks I have purchased from, only have rolls of halves in $500 bags. How would I get boxes?

Is it worth trying to order half dollar boxes/bags from the smaller banks that have produced for me, or is it more luck of the draw?

Thanks a bunch everyone for your help. Your posts have got me hooked on this stuff... especially until I can start swinging the coil again.

Good luck on your next rolls!!

UPDATE....

Thank you everyone for the comments. I will admit, after I first posted... it did seam a little hostile around this forum over the next couple of days, especially as being a new guy to the hobby. Oh well.... we all had to start at some time.

Silver Stripe.... here are the photos you requested.
picture-2.jpg

picture-3.jpg

Upvote 0

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
Re: Just started...finds and questions

Looks like your off to a good start :thumbsup:

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro

Man, most people dip there toe in before diving head first but with 5-$500 dollar bags just out the gate you don't waste any time. Great finds.

Golden Silver

SoCalMark

Dec 28, 2006
Inland Empire
Detector(s) used
MXT, Explorer II

Nice finds! This hobby is nothing but luck of the draw. You can ask the bank to order boxes. Remember with boxes, there is a lot of coin that gets dumped by CRHer's so it gets recirculated regularly. The savvy tellers will go through hand rolled coins before they ship it out too. Then of course the conspiracy types will say that someone pulls silver at the redemption center (possible, but unlikely). If you can get bags, that seems like a good way to go as long as competition is low in your area and there are only a few dumpers filling up those bags. There are too many variables to calculate a bullet proof strategy. So yes, it really is a crap shoot no matter how you get the coin. Just keep going and enjoy the hobby.

HH Mark

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009

First of all, awesome finds!! I myself have never found silver quarters, or dimes. And that Spanish coin looks awesome, and is really old, too!!
Second, its normal to not find silver. Theres guys here who've had 20 box skunk streaks, and close to that too.
Third, Welcome!! CRHing is alot of fun along with MDing, and theres treasure everywhere!
good luck!

JJtheRollHunter

Aug 2, 2009

Welcome! I hope you decide to stick around. It's been a little hostile lately here on the forum.

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

Your bank if it continually produces no silver in large quantities of hand rolls may be a dump bank. Check the wrappers for similar markings or if they are rewrapped fed rolls. Both are signs of probable dumping.

Just ask the tellers at your bank if they will order boxes and it doesnt hurt to order from different sources.

remember not to dump at a bank you get halves or to tell the telllers you are looking for silver.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

JJtheRollHunter said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
What is the dark colored coin?
Nice silver :icon_thumleft:

I believe it is some kind of spanish coin from 1870.

Looks like a British large penny.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

I got one of them foreigns a week or so ago but it is worn smooth and dateless, only word I can make out is Centimos- looks like a lion on the back, can you post a pic of the back for ME? HH Mark

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey great finds, great way to start. Just don't get discouraged if you hit some skunks once in a while, it will happen from time to time.

OP
OP
L

lookin4coins

Feb 27, 2010

Silver Stripe said:
I got one of them foreigns a week or so ago but it is worn smooth and dateless, only word I can make out is Centimos- looks like a lion on the back, can you post a pic of the back for ME? HH Mark

Pix attached to original post. :)

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA

lookin4coins said:
Silver Stripe said:

Pix attached to original post. :)
Thanks, much better shape than mine. HH Mark

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link to your spanish coin. It's km#663 in the list. This is a great website for finding pictures and values for foreign coins. I recently bought a $20 bag of 500 mixed foreign coins at a show and was able to find every single one at that web site.

http://worldcoingallery.com/countries/Spain.php

It's worth about $2 in fine condition (give or take). Since the picture shown is in terrible shape as well I'd say that your coin is probably in fine condition. At the very least it is worth 50 cents so you didn't lose money on the deal. ;D

Nice job on all of that silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread