Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a great machine a buddy of mine i used to go out relic hunting with used one & stood by it its a very capable machine, & it was keeping up to the v3i im using I mean obviously i got more bella & whistles but they are very close machines in depth tune it right read ur manual If u dont have one u can get one on the factory website,another thing u could do is even watch the you tube vids for tips & tricks anyting to help will benefit. One of my main things is the tones these high end whites machine have over 99 tones so gran some items that ur looking for & junk to wave em around the coil & train ur ears on what to listen for. Last good luck & have fun im sure ull like it its,a great machine

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX is a awesome machine, you will enjoy it.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The DFX is a awesome machine, you will enjoy it.

Do you think the DFX's technology and performance is still advanced for today, or do you think it will be obsolete soon?

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The DFX is a very powerful machine. I would recommend the book Digging Deeper with the DFX as it will help you fine tune the machine. If I remember right a VDI of 22 is a nickel. If you get a different VDI on each pass then it probably is trash but if it remains the same on every pass then most likely it will be a nickel. That is a huge upgrade from what you had. Enjoy it.

OP
OP
mattfink

mattfink

Dec 23, 2012
Cottage Grove, MN
Detector(s) used
minelab equinox 800
Minelab excalibur ii
Whites surfmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya thanks guys I already watched the you tube videos and i got a manual too. This machine seems like it will be great. I already noticed it goes deeper than my ace so I that means I will finding some silver real soon.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll be able to get more out of it depth wise once you learn it better, you might also look at some of the programs some of the experienced DFX users are using. HH

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you think the DFX's technology and performance is still advanced for today, or do you think it will be obsolete soon?

The XLT and XL Pro are both much older tech, and I would not characterize either of them as obsolete. It's going to take a real paradigm shift to relegate these detectors to the inactive list any time soon.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XLT and XL Pro are both much older tech, and I would not characterize either of them as obsolete. It's going to take a real paradigm shift to relegate these detectors to the inactive list any time soon.

Thanks ;)

Rocky77

Feb 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buddy of mine bought a package deal of used whites gear so he could get a coil for his mxt pro in the package was a Whites DFX so he offered to sell it to me. I'm upgrading from a Garrett Ace 250 I tried it out and it seems to be very user friendly. Any thoughts on this machine?

I use a DFX and found it difficult to understand when I first got it. One day everything finally clicked and there's no way I'd ever let this thing go. There's a couple of key settings you need to know and not much else.

Keep your AC around 75 and DC around 50 for more depth. Adjust AC for chattiness, but you should be able to run between 65 and 75 with no problem and raise the preamp gain until the machine becomes unstable.

Learn to use mixed mode. I couldn't take it at first, but now I never turn it off. It runs the AC and DC channels at the same time and you get the best depth since you can hear the DC all metal channel at the same time. You'll find the deep stuff using this mode. The all metal channel will go deeper than the AC discrimination channel. It's probably not necessary if you're coin and jewelry hunting in a park, but in a field and relic hunting it's a must.

Recovery Speed, sweep speed and ground filters are the other three settings you need to learn. I run a higher recovery speed which makes the target sound more defined and crisp. The lower the setting, the longer and drawn out the signal tone is. So I run it higher for a quicker tone response. Sweep speed and ground filters are related settings. The less filters you have, the more noise will be let into the receive coil. Sweep speed is set to fine tune this. Play around with some buried targets and find the settings that give you the best signal response.

I'm by no means a master of this machine, but hopefully the info I provided helps out a little bit.

The DFX is awesome and I wish I had gotten into metal detecting years ago. Good luck. You'll have fun with it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread