Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I keep finding driftwood with lots of small brass and copper nails on the beach after a storm. Does that mean there could be a wreck close by out in the surf? Or is this just happenstance?

Depends on the wood I'd say, but I don't think they use those nails anymore.

Salt water or fresh? Large wood? Old looking?

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very worm ate wood lots of holes, smells like tar or something. Salt water beach in new jersey. Don't know my wood to well, so I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, ver dark color though. . There always small square nails. The nails are always either brass or copper or some kind of mixture of the two. There was like five of them in a tiny three inch piece of wood, like there right on top of each other.

Thanks for your help

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be good if you upload a few pictures. To me it sounds like an intriguing possibility that there may be an old wreck breaking down in the surf. Might also be an old boathouse from way back when. Just thoughts....

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few nails and some of the wood. There's a lot more just don't have time to dig them out right now.

Attachments

• image-2154770200.jpg
    image-2154770200.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 309
  • image-2653987051.jpg
    image-2653987051.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 253

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
is there is any copper sheet type plate attached to the wood ? -- old ships hulls were copper sheeting covered to stop worms from eating thru thru the wood hulls (copper is toxic to the worms and helps to prevent sea moss from growing to the hulls)--- copper and bronze nails were used to pin the sheeting to the hull because unlike iron they didn't rust---- copper and bronze nails were commonly used on ships due to that fact.--storms often break up sunken wrecks that are slightly off shore and causes debris to wash up on shore (old sunk hull wreckage as well as other stuff) --any place that has ship wreck debris washing up is worth checking out carefully,--- copper sheeting became common in the early to mid 1700 era (1730 to say 1750 or so ) it was quite common by he American rev war era.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found copper sheeting but a lot of houses around there have copper roofs and I think it was more likely that, since superstorm sandy left broken home debris all over the beaches here. When I get a PI or BBS detector I'm gonna get right out there and check around. I will anchor my boat off that area and dive around as well.

Thanks for all your help.

OP
OP
Vikingblood

Vikingblood

Sep 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok. Now I found this. There's more good signals in the water can't get to them with v3 I. All signals in led and brass range

Attachments

• image-2839995828.jpg
    image-2839995828.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 250

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread