What's new

Kennedy 07 P

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
2,074
Reaction score
25
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 2007 P half while I was out and about this lunch hour. It has a different look to it, almost a satin finish. I notice that this is a very low mintage coin with around 2.4 million made. Is this a proof set coin?
 
Upvote 0
Not a proof. Proofs are minted in San Francisco and have an S mint mark, and also have a mirror finish.
 
Ok, I see proofs are only S mint marks. This one took me by supprise because I have seen no dates higher than around 2004 or so. I assume that as the demand for halfs wained, they cut production down to pretty low. Still seems like this would be a hard coin to find with only 2.4 million of them out there. This one looks like its in great shape.
 
And they were never made for circulation. Some one paid a premium to buy that from the mint. I hold all mine and the nicer ones do bring a preimium on ebay if you sell as sets. Not much but it is profit
 
Not a proof

Not worth anything unless the coin is Inoculated. It is just an other NIFC Coin.

Many here keep them. No coin dealer will buy it but you maybe find an individual that really wants it.

There are too many out there.

I prefer the impaired proofs "S" Clad than NIFC

DW
 
Can someone answer the original question. I would also like to know more about the satin finises.

I think I have found several myself and it appears that they might hold a higher value....... Eventually.

Mojo
 

Attachments

  • 2008s.webp
    2008s.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 214
  • 2008s.webp
    2008s.webp
    34.4 KB · Views: 196
Yes if someone knows why the finish on these seem different please do tell. Were the NIFC coins "finished" differently than other circulated coins? I pulled several from 1999 to 2007 from the same roll that had this satin type look to them.
Mojo you picture is a fine example. Thanks for posting.
 
AGCoinHunter said:
Yes if someone knows why the finish on these seem different please do tell. Were the NIFC coins "finished" differently than other circulated coins? I pulled several from 1999 to 2007 from the same roll that had this satin type look to them.
Mojo you picture is a fine example. Thanks for posting.

OK, Here is the big answer you are all looking for... The NIFC coins were not finished differently than other cirulated coins. If you were to buy a roll of lets say 2007D halfs from the mint you will get the same type finish as the circulated dimes, quarters, ect... BUT if you were to buy the 2007 mint set the halves, quarters, and dimes have a SATIN finish... The coins that you are finding with the satin finish are broken out of "US MINT SETS" purchased from the US Mint. The "PRIME" satin half dollar to have is the 2006 P or D it only has a mintage of 847,361 each mint mark.

I hope this helps answer your questions

Jason
 
It does. Thanks for the explanation. :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom