Kentucky man finds over 700 Civil War-era coins buried in his cornfield

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Now this is COOL! Mouth watering pics if you follow the link, plus a YouTube video. This dude is playing it cool, too because he is not putting his name out there. And the cache already has a cool name to boot: The "Great Kentucky Hoard":

Absolutely mouth watering!

And as an added bonus, you can read about an archaeologist whining because people aren't required to report such finds when they are found on private land.

Bucketfreak68

Feb 11, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab X- Terra 305
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now this is COOL! Mouth watering pics if you follow the link, plus a YouTube video. This dude is playing it cool, too because he is not putting his name out there. And the cache already has a cool name to boot: The "Great Kentucky Hoard":

Absolutely mouth watering!

And as an added bonus, you can read about an archaeologist whining because people aren't required to report such finds when they are found on private land.
Now that is a find!!!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Imagine how many hoards like this are still out there. I could imagine quite a few wealthy people burying their life fortunes at the start of the war, dying or being displaced before ever being able to retrieve it. Many plantation owners fled to South America after 1865, many likely too hurried to get all their wealth out of the US.

The Federal occupation of the South after the war lasted more than a decade, and many Ex-Confederates would have never returned for their loot. Also many Northerners would have faced similar situations- hiding their fortunes to keep them safe from both armies, then if those people died in the war their loot would still be hidden.

OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Imagine how many hoards like this are still out there. I could imagine quite a few wealthy people burying their life fortunes at the start of the war, dying or being displaced before ever being able to retrieve it. Many plantation owners fled to South America after 1865, many likely too hurried to get all their wealth out of the US.

Especially in states where the population had to deal with the military from both the North and South, so they played both sides for profit. Getting caught with the other side's money could mean the end of the line for you! Reminds me of the ferry boat operator in The Outlaw Josey Wales who sang a different song depending on whether he was ferrying Northerners or Southerners across the river.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
MiddenMonster

MiddenMonster

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2004
Down in the pit
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350 GTA
Wouldn't get them out of my hands for that!!!!!!

$2 million is a joke.

I certainly don't know the value of them, but this quote from the article has me scratching my head:

"They were then listed for sale on govmint.com and were snapped up in a matter of days"

I'm thinking that had I found the coins, an auction would have been the way to go. And the only real question would have been to sell them as an intact lot or break them up into smaller lots, perhaps even single coin lots. If something that is potentially worth a fortune gets "snapped up in a matter of days" you obviously didn't ask enough to begin with. Snapped up is fine if you are selling that old air compressor or the twin bed your kid outgrew. But something that people avidly collect and is making international news? I think not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread