Key and Lock

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello I'm pretty new to the hobby and have been on only four or five hunts at parks and my own backyard.Today at a friends house I found my first real fine in some woods next to his place .Next to a very large oak tree I got a really faint signal when I dug down at about 18 inches (which I thought was a lot deeper than my metal detector should be able to go agian I'm new )I found this key when I put the pin pointer back in the hole it hit on something else just an inch away from where the key was I found this lock.I was hoping someone could give me an idea of what type of key and lock this is as well is the best way to clean them.the key is much too large to fit into this lock it seems but it was right next to it .they were two other giant oak trees in the vicinity and I did not have time to search any longer do too the sunset settings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 98
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 92

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the lock measures from top to bottom three and three quarters the width of the lock outside outside is 2 inches the inside dimension of the lock itself is 1 inch wide by 1 inch tall.I cannot tell if its cast or not.I wouldn't know how to tell

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
the lock measures from top to bottom three and three quarters the width of the lock outside outside is 2 inches the inside dimension of the lock itself is 1 inch wide by 1 inch tall.I cannot tell if its cast or not.I wouldn't know how to tell

Cast iron is a ferrous metal. What did you read on your detector?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was reading iron it's also magnetic.I am using a bounty hunter sharpshooter 2 .My first metal detector

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Im just throwing this out here but I'm willing to say you have a pretty rare lock.
Couple features that I really like is the side entry key slot, square shank and very unique tapered body.
Let me do some more research, I'll get back to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've looked all over as well and can't find anything like it.thank you for your help.Breezie has been very helpful she pointed me towards an old Asian lock that has a side key slot

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
I felt it had to do something from over there!! Good job on the find!! Congrats to the both of you.
If I was you, I'd be taking the day off tomorrow and scanning the area.
Happy hunting to you.

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Just imagine, that lock was here before we were a nation!
You have a nice piece. Just find the key and you'll be one happy SOB.
Let me know if you ever plan on selling it! Elbow shrug....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah that's pretty awesome when you think of that way I'm definitely going to search the area really well in the next week or so I will definitely let you know if I find anything else.I need to look at his book and find out what his sources were and see what that lock went on.to me it could have been some kind of chest.I have no idea what something like that Lock is worth Moneywise

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Don't pawn it or sell it unless you really need the money. And don't prod the key hole and mess with the mechanisms! Keep me posted.

On another note, you said earlier you found a buckle? Have a picture of it too? Did you find it within the same area of the lock?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't pawn it or sell it unless you really need the money. And don't prod the key hole and mess with the mechanisms! Keep me posted.

On another note, you said earlier you found a buckle? Have a picture of it too? Did you find it within the same area of the lock?

yes I won't mess with it that's for sure .I'm doing a little more research come to find out there was a prince name Murat who live here in the 16 hundreds his wife was the niece to Napoleon Bonaparte being the lock is thought to be from Paris I wonder if there's a connection,also when I was reading the literature in the book I referred you to he says the lock example in the museum in England is made to attach to an iron chest for the Royal Society.cool stuff I did find a buckle and am in the process of cleaning it now as well as some really cool pieces of metal Plus what looks to be a round copper symbol shape Indian disk for jewelry I'll post a picture of that later too

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
yeah that's pretty awesome when you think of that way I'm definitely going to search the area really well in the next week or so I will definitely let you know if I find anything else.I need to look at his book and find out what his sources were and see what that lock went on.to me it could have been some kind of chest.I have no idea what something like that Lock is worth Moneywise

Any pictures yet?! My wife and I are pretty excited for you cats!

Upvote 0

relicsearcher

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very great find, that is a very rare, 17th century half heart padlock, last one sold on ebay for $540.00

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

chris herron

Jan 3, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any pictures yet?! My wife and I are pretty excited for you cats!

Still cleaning the buckle.yeah.thanks for your help I can't until I'm able to go out to that same spot this week.Hope I can find more .I will post pictures as soon as I get everything cleaned

Upvote 0

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
What I find so strange is that most of these locks have "straight slots" for entry of the key.
The one you found appears to have a jagged looking lightning bolt.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread