KFC clone? Right here.

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my guiltiest of guilty pleasures is my culinary obsession with KFC*. I would step over my mother's body to get a bucket of the Colonel's regular recipe thighs. But try as I might, despite all my years of training and wearing that big white hat, I have never been able to duplicate their combination of crispy-yet-weighty skin, which bards an interior exploding with juice and flavor like no other.

Until I bought a 1970's Wearever "Chicken Bucket" pressure fryer, that is.

It turns out it's not the recipe that makes KFC, KFC. It's the equipment. KFC chicken is KFC chicken because they're fried in pressurized oil. It's not the "secret blend of herbs and spices", it's not a buttermilk brine, it's not a 200 year old Griswold pan. It's oil under pressure. Period. That's pretty common knowledge now of course (thanks interwebs!), but way back when, I had no idea.

They don't really make pressure fryers for home use any more. Well, a few companies do. But they're hard to find, and very expensive. You're better off looking around on eBay, if you share my mania and want to start cranking out your own Buckets o' Clones. I picked mine up for $40, and it is still perhaps the best 40 dollars I ever spent other than my wife's engagement ring (don't tell her, k?)

One thing: you cannot pressure fry in a pressure COOKER. It must be a pressure fryer, a piece of seriously reinforced kit that's built to insure scalding oil does not turn you into a medieval Inquisition victim. Don't be tempted to do otherwise.

Anyway, I made a batch of thighs tonight since my wife is away and she tends to favor white meat (this thing makes the most amazing McNuggets clones). Under pressure the thighs only need to cook about 5 minutes per batch of four, 2 minutes for about a pound of breast strips. It's that easy.

I made 8 thighs, but this was all that was left after a half an hour when I suddenly remembered I owned a camera:

KFC clone 2.jpg

You can make great - I mean GREAT - fried chicken any number of ways. But this is the only way to go if you're looking to duplicate the Colonel's very specific characteristics.

*And any of the other chains that use KFC's method, like Popeye's, Broaster, etc. It's just that KFC was the only place around when I was growing up, so I use them as my reference.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Gee, thanks! ...I was just getting ready for bed. But no....NOW I WANT CHICKEN!! :cussing:

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee, thanks! ...I was just getting ready for bed. But no....NOW I WANT CHICKEN!! :cussing:

If you can get down here, I'll make you a batch. BYOS (Bring Your Own Spork).

:happysmiley:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I cooked awhile another cook had come from a place that pressure fried their chicken and tried to describe the process..
I'd not considered a domestic utensil for it though.
Thanks for sharing such info.!

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I cooked awhile another cook had come from a place that pressure fried their chicken and tried to describe the process..
I'd not considered a domestic utensil for it though.
Thanks for sharing such info.!

My pleasure!

If you're interested in actually trying it yourself, and do manage to acquire a unit, I can't stress enough how quick and easy the process is. Just an egg wash to make the chicken sticky, then a coating of flour (NOT a batter, which apparently is a big no-no), and into the bucket. After just a a couple of minutes...voila! A burned roof of your mouth because you couldn't resist trying a bit before it cooled off :cussing:

Lol. Go for it!

Tom

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KFC original. Only chicken I will eat from a fast food place. There was a fast food place in North Carolina that was better. Do not remember the name, something like Bojangles??????

OP
OP
Sherpat

Sherpat

Feb 3, 2016
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KFC original. Only chicken I will eat from a fast food place. There was a fast food place in North Carolina that was better. Do not remember the name, something like Bojangles??????

Was it "Bojangles' Famous Chicken-n-Biscuits" by any chance? There used to be a couple in Manhattan a few years back, I think as part of a national chain. Don't know if the entire chain is gone, or just my local locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread