I am not claiming that the following is any type of KGC code but I am using it only as an example of how one type of message could be used and I just found the article interesting.
ccc
"In new Rome there walked three men, a Judas, a Brutus and a spy.
Each planned that he should be the king when Abraham should die."
http://www.shout.net/~bigred/Neff.htm
Ray Neff Discovers Coded Messages
(Conspiracy Nation, 4/15/02) -- In 1863, Colonel Lafayette C. Baker
(later promoted to Brigadier General) was in charge of Union counter-
intelligence, heading the National Detective Bureau. In 1866, when
President Andrew Johnson discovered that Baker's Detective Bureau had
the White House under surveillance, Baker was dismissed. Baker feared
(with good reason) for his life, and died under suspicious
circumstances in 1868. (Details are in Anatomy of an Assassination by
John Cottrell. New York: Funk & Wagnalls, 1966.) An inventory of
Baker's possessions showed he owned bound volumes of "Colburn's U.S.
Magazine" for the years 1860 to 1865 -- with one exception: the
volume for the first half of 1864 is not listed in the inventory.
Read on, for why that is important.
Documented in Cottrell's book is the following sworn testimony by one
William Carter, who knew Baker and visited him a few days before his
death:
[Baker] did say some things which made me wonder. When I came into
the room he had a stack of books by his bed and he had one open and
was making marks in it. I asked him what he was doing and he
said, "I'm writing my memoirs." I asked him [again,] to make sure
that I had heard him right and he said it over again. Then I
said, "But, General, them books is already wrote." And he
said, "Right, they are going to have to get up early to get ahead of
old Lafe Baker." And then he laughed. I picked up one of the books
and looked at it, and I saw that he was writing cipher in it.
Please note that when Ray Neff, a research chemist, came across a
bound volume of "Colburn's U.S. Magazine" at a used bookstore 92-
years after Abraham Lincoln's assassination, none of the information
in the preceding paragraphs had yet come to light.
The bound volume of Colburn's magazine which Neff chanced upon was
for the latter half of 1864. Note that, as mentioned, Baker's
inventory shows that he lacked the bound volume for the first half of
1864.
Months after purchasing the volume, Neff was idly thumbing through
it. He noticed a series of numbers and letters written in the margin.
Mr. Leonard Fousche (a professional cryptographer) and Neff's wife
helped him decipher the messages.
Ray Neff noticed that the bound volume was discolored in several
places. After spreading tannic acid over one of these, it revealed a
signature; Baker had apparently used some sort of "invisible ink"
method to conceal his name, "L.C. Baker." A handwriting expert later
declared the signature to be genuine.
Here is what the de-ciphered messages said:
I am constantly being followed. They are professionals. I cannot fool
them. In new Rome there walked three men, a Judas, a Brutus and a
spy. Each planned that he should be the king when Abraham should die.
One trusted not the other but they went on for that day, waiting for
that final moment when, with pistol in his hand, one of the sons of
Brutus could sneak behind that cursed man and put a bullet in his
brain and lay his clumsey [sic] corpse away. As the fallen man lay
dying, Judas came and paid respects to one he hated, and when at last
he saw him die, he said, "Now the ages have him and the nation now
have I." But, alas, fate would have it Judas slowly fell from grace,
and with him went Brutus down to their proper place. But lest one is
left to wonder what happened to the spy, I can safely tell you this,
it was I.
-- Lafayette C. Baker
It was on the tenth of April, sixty-five, when I first knew that the
plan was in action. Ecert [Major Thomas T. Eckert, in charge of
military telegraph headquarters at the War Department] had made all
the contacts, the deed to be done on the fourteenth. I did not know
the identity of the assassin, but I knew most all else when I
approached E.S. [Edwin M. Stanton, Lincoln's Secretary of War] about
it. He at once acted surprised and disbelieving. Later he said: "You
are a party to it too. Let us wait and see what comes of it and then
we will know better how to act in the matter." I soon discovered what
he meant that I was a party to it when the following day I was shown
a document that I knew to be a forgery but a clever one, which made
it appear that I had been in charge of a plot to kidnap the
President, the Vice-President being the instigator. Then I became a
party to that deed even though I did not care to.
On the thirteenth he discovered that the President had ordered that
the Legislature of Virginia be allowed to assemble to withdraw that
state's troops from action against the U.S. He [Stanton] fermented
immediately into an insane tyrade [sic]. Then for the first time I
realised his mental disunity and his insane and fanatical hatred for
the President. There are few in the War Department that respect the
President or his strategy, but there are not many who would
countermand an order that the President had given. However, during
that insane moment, he sent a telegram to Gen. Weitzel countermanding
the President's order of the twelfth. Then he laughed in a most spine
chilling manner and said: "If he would to know who recinded [sic] his
order we will let Lucifer tell him. Be off, Tom, and see to the
arrangements. There can be no mistakes." This is the first that I
knew that he was the one responsible for the assassination plot.
Always before I thought that either he did not trust me, for he
really trusted no one, or he was protecting someone until it was to
his benefit to expose them. But now I know the truth and it frightens
me no end. I fear that somehow I may become the sacrificial goat.
There were at least eleven members of Congress involved in the plot,
no less than twelve Army officers, three Naval officers and at least
twenty four civilians, of which one was a governor of a loyal state.
Five were bankers of great repute, three were nationally known
newspapermen and eleven were industrialists of great repute and
wealth. There were probably more that I know nothing of.
The names of these known conspirators is presented without comment or
notation in Vol one of this series. Eighty-five thousand dollars was
contributed by the named persons to pay for the deed. Only eight
persons knew the details of the plot and the identity of the others.
I fear for my life, L.C.B. [Lafayette C. Baker]
Ray Neff had come across the volume from the latter half of 1864. De-
ciphering Baker's message, it's learned that the names of the members
of Congress, military officers, bankers, newspapermen and others
could be found in Volume One. But as pointed out at the beginning of
this issue of Conspiracy Nation, when Baker had died an inventory of
his possessions showed that particular volume to be missing.
Conspiracy Nation. Now read in all 50 states.
http://www.shout.net/~bigred/cn.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/