What's new

know what it is but can not find info on it * zebco model 444 WL open faced spinning

ivan salis

Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
16,836
Reaction score
3,817
Golden Thread
0
Location
callahan,fl
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
made in japan --trying to find out how old it is --rough value --its in very nice shape seems well built too --metal body --not the el cheapo plastic like modern reels
 
silver searcher * thanks --it looks like its a black model 444 ABU CARDINAL MODEL , only word "zebco" marked with not credit on it given to ABU GARICA by any markings --BUT it seems to be a black Abu 444 model type clone , made in japan by zebco for the American market in a " marketing deal" of some sort.
 
Upvote 0
silver searcher * thanks --it looks like its a black model 444 ABU CARDINAL MODEL , only word "zebco" marked with not credit on it given to ABU GARICA by any markings --BUT it seems to be a black Abu 444 model type clone , made in japan by zebco for the American market in a " marketing deal" of some sort.
It's just a way for ABU to get into the huge marketing place of the USA, sell there reals through another brand, or a look alike, like you said. :icon_thumleft:

SS
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Zebco 444wl

I got the same zebco 444wl and cant find any Info on it, has anyone found out anything about it? 20190427_224054.webp20190427_224048.webp
 
Upvote 0
I also have the same on I have tons of fishing gear. I believe these were made and sold at the cheaper department stores possibly made in China using the Zebco name like they do with lots of other stuff even garrett pin pointers. Just cents and their Indian heads lol
 
Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello Ivan,

When I used to fish salt water tidal streams I had two open faced Zebco reals that I'd purchased at yard sales. the first was silver colored and the second was their premier series and was gold colored. I remember that they were both ball bearing reels so I had to strip and clean as soon as my trip was over. When I bought the first one, it was seized and I had a real hard time finding a bearing for it. I'll look as soon as I can to see what models they were, but they were real nice reels and the drag was really smooth. I could hook a big flounder and without setting the hook let the drag wear him out. I believe they were 80s vintage.
 
Upvote 0
Mine looks like the one Chevyon posted but I believe his is a fresh water model.
 
Upvote 0
I couldn't find mine, perhaps I sold them. I had the same issue on a Shakespeare reel one time. The gent at the tackle shop where I bought it from referred me to a man he knew that ran a big time repair service. I contacted him and sent a picture of the reel and he told me it had been built in China as a private label for Shakespeare. He knew the design to be a brand of reel typically sold only in Asia. From that he could ID the parts I needed.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom