What's new

know what it is but can not find info on it * zebco model 444 WL open faced spinning

ivan salis

Platinum Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2007
Messages
16,836
Reaction score
3,817
Golden Thread
0
Location
callahan,fl
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
made in japan --trying to find out how old it is --rough value --its in very nice shape seems well built too --metal body --not the el cheapo plastic like modern reels
 
Upvote 0
:censored:
It's probably a closed face and missing cover.
Look for threads were cap or closed face would screw on to.
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
NO ITS A OPEN FACED TYPE SPINNING REEL with the drag adjustment knob in front * ITS MARKED "zebco 444 WL" on both sides of the body ( it made of die cast metal) with a aluminum type spool --its got" made in japan" on the foot where it would attach to a rod * it is rated for 10 lb test --seems to be very well made and is in good shape --zebco is known for closed faced reels --this one is odd its open faced type spinning and is made of die cast metal and was made in japan to boot. --can't find any info online about it either. hum

there is a zebco 444 listed but its a under the rod trigger type closed face reel --100% totally different than the normal looking open faced spinner type zebco 444 WL that I got
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
take a picture it will help us.
 
Upvote 0
I called zebco * the gal there could not ID it or tell me squat--she refered me to karltwhite.com --a big time fishing gear expert --I left a message at his website for him
 
Upvote 0
I would really love to see a pic of it. Abu made a "444 Spinning Reel".

Doug
 
Upvote 0
I would really love to see a pic of it. Abu made a "444 Spinning Reel".

Doug
Thanks Doug and here it is. ABU444-2abu444.webp
 
Upvote 0
That looks like an old timer, probably somewhat rare if info. is hard to find. GL
 
Upvote 0
I looked around ivan,couldnt really find any info on it.The closest I came was a zebco 404.Kind of funny,I have a reel a that I cant find any info on too.:laughing9:
 
Upvote 0
for a time Zebco was very slip shod about "record keeping" so there are gaps in their "history" of reel making
 
Upvote 0
for a time Zebco was very slip shod about "record keeping" so there are gaps in their "history" of reel making
So ivan salis do you have this reel to post a pic or is it just a memory.
 
Upvote 0
I'll try to get the wife to photo it and post it soon-- I have it "in hand" --its all metal body type -open faced spinning type reel * made in japan ---seems solidly made --I 'm thinking 1980ish era
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Eventually Abu and Zebco had reels made in Japan sporting the Cardinal name on open faces.
 
Upvote 0
the photo of the one 444 model (above) is the "under rod" trigger type "closed face" model * -- mine is designed like a typical modern type under rod type "open faced" spinning reel is --so its 100% totally different looking -- when you attempt to look up "zebco 444 WL" that closed faced style 444 shows up sadly its the completely wrong one.--even went soi far as calling zebco * themselves they passed me on to a big time tackle expert (karltwhite.com)-- left him as message at his website but no reply...yet.
 
Upvote 0
Ivan,

You are going to think I'm making this up, but I had a Zebco 444 open face at one time. I couldn't find anything about it either. Mine came out of an estate auction, and I sold it at a flea market.

Wow...that was almost 10 years ago. I haven't ever seen another one like it, but I don't fish, and I don't buy many rods/reels any more.

I grew up with 202, 404, and the 33. At the time I had it, I remember thinking "I didn't know that Zebco made open face reels".
 
Upvote 0
It sounds like the ABU Cardinal 444, Much like the "Garcia" branding in States for the Ambassadeur range of reels, the Cardinal range of ABU reels was imported into states by Zebco and carries with it the brand of its distributor.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom