What's new

Large Caliber Rimfire

cosmic

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Messages
882
Reaction score
50
Golden Thread
0
Location
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this at the old courthouse and was wonder what it was.. 5/8" wide and 7/8" in length.. Any idea?
 

Attachments

  • jj.webp
    jj.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 429
  • ss.webp
    ss.webp
    40.1 KB · Views: 871
Spencer, perhaps?

Cool finds!
 
Upvote 0
Usually the .50 are shorter and more squat,a look at the top,might be more helpful,as to make :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I do believe from the measuments it is a 56x56 spencer.. It has no marking on the base at all except for where the firing pin struck it..
Thanks..
 
Upvote 0
cosmic said:
I do believe from the measuments it is a 56x56 spencer.. It has no marking on the base at all except for where the firing pin struck it..
Thanks..
WAS IT A SINGLE PIN STRIKE?(sorry caps lock)Spencers and Henrys have dual strikes
 
Upvote 0
There was a .56-56 Winchester rimfire , but I don't know if it was designed for the Spencer or not? But I do know the info about the double strike is correct. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Looks like a single strike, but a shallow indent on the opposite in the corrosion area..
 

Attachments

  • 100_2556.webp
    100_2556.webp
    36.2 KB · Views: 339
Upvote 0
I cleaned it up a bit more there is another strike opposite the deeper one..
 
Upvote 0
If there is a double strike then that would pretty much solve the ID. Most people don't realize just how hard it is to positively ID a shell casing. That's especially difficult if there is no writing or markings on the case. The reason that is a problem is because there may have evolved 40 or 50 variations from one parent case. They are shortened, necked up or down and vary slightly in makeup depending on the firearm for which they are intended. The variation from one case to another although completely different may be only a 16th of an inch or so. Then with the advent of smokeless powder came a whole new batch of cases even further enhanced and changed to meet the higher pressures generated by smokeless powder. That's why I find the history and evolution of firearm ammo so interesting. Monty
 
Upvote 0
dual strike firing pins were for henry rifles and spencers * it reduced the chance of a "misfire" since they were "rimfires" with the measurements and info given given - a spencer would be my guess,
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom