What's new

Large copper Medallion

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
6,690
Reaction score
716
Golden Thread
1
Location
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings,
I started detecting a few weeks ago,
This is my first really exciting find, Hampton beach NH, in some rocky sand,
above the beachline,
2 3/8 inch diameter, 3/8 inch thick, 124 grams copper.
Fortunately, I was moving rocks & sand by hand, or I probably would have damaged it
it was Like plucking a cookie from the sand
I don't recognize language, or castle.(except latin 'culpa')
Well anyway here's some pix, I hope you have a great day!!, Steelheadwill.
 

Attachments

  • COPPER MINI1.webp
    COPPER MINI1.webp
    33.6 KB · Views: 350
  • COPPER MINI2.webp
    COPPER MINI2.webp
    32 KB · Views: 324
  • COPPER MINI3.webp
    COPPER MINI3.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 325
  • COPPER MINI4.webp
    COPPER MINI4.webp
    30.1 KB · Views: 336
  • COPPER MINI5.webp
    COPPER MINI5.webp
    45.2 KB · Views: 330
  • COPPER MINI6.webp
    COPPER MINI6.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 329
audriusk said:
The language is ukrain. Elisavengrad is the town in Ukraine , now it is renamed to Kirovograd . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirovohrad
"Kasatska zastava" means military settlement.
It could be old. Very nice find.

Nice ID, I think no older than 1920s by the looks of it :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all your help,
Great information !!
I REALLY enjoy this new hobby/obsession,
Best wishes to you all, Steelheadwill.
 
Upvote 0
Many thanks to Montauk !!
Definitely a positive ID.
I spent hours researching this on my own, no results.
Thanks again to all who responded, Happy hunting, Steelheadwill.
 
Upvote 0
I believe the medal is named after the fortress within the city with the same name.
"In 1752 according to the imperial decree "against the hostile attacks" of the Tatars and Turks the fortress of St.Elisabet was erected here just on the river bank between two its inflowes - Sigokleja and Gruzka."

The fortress was erected three years before the town was named.

"Soon near the important strategic fortress which ramparts and now are almost perfectly survived the large village - future district centre of steppe land has arisen and in 1755 it was named Elisavetgrad."
 
Upvote 0
More great info !!!
I guess we can only speculate how this ended up on a beach in New Hampshire ???
Thanks again & Good Day, Steelheadwill.
 
Upvote 0
Credit for finding the info on this medallion really goes to audriusk. He nailed the place name on the item. From there it was cut & paste. Thanks nontheless.
 
Upvote 0
Montauk said:
Credit for finding the info on this medallion really goes to audriusk. He nailed the place name on the item. From there it was cut & paste. Thanks nontheless.

It was not so hard. I know a little russian and the ukrain language is simular. Nice and
detailed pictures .
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom