Large Excavated Lead and Brass Civil War Battlefield Buckle/Buckles?

RELICMAN35

Jun 8, 2012
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Friends,
I need help in Identifying this Large Buckle that appears to possibly have another Round Buckle that looks to be "melted/burned" into the larger Buckle/Piece. I think there may be 2 different pieces here, but could be absolutely wrong?? It was found with some things my father found in the 70's in Central Arkansas.

Description - The whole piece suffered damaged due to some kind of Artillery Fire during the Civil War probably in 1863 although there is no evidence of a date, but understand the War took place here during this year. I will re-exam this piece for more information. Some pieces are pre-war relics.

The Front appears to have the shape of a head at the top which may be an "eagle". This is questionable? This head/piece measures 3 inches in diameter across, and 1 and 1/2 inches in Length going down. This piece is lead and initially thought it may have been piece of artillery to hit this piece, but looks connected especially from the back there seems to be no doubt.

The front round piece looks to consist of Brass and Lead and "Designs" thorough out the front round portion. Again, it is melted due to Battle. L equals 6 inches from head all the way down, and the Diamter of the round front portion is 3 and 3/4 inches. I can see designs of what I think are "American" birds through out on this portion?

The back portion is very interesting to me. It looks like there may be another "Buckle" burnt in to this piece from the back?? Also, there seems to be 2 different Brass Buckles from two different pieces? See picture. The back Length also measures at 6 inches and its diameter across the middle is 3 inches. The smaller what appears to be another rounded Buckle on the back measures 3 5/8 inches in diameter and and 2 3/4 inches in length going down.

Both Brass Buckles on the back have the same measurements. They both measure 1 inch in length and 2 inches in diameter. The words are hard to read on this piece, but again will re-exam and add to post. Any help would be appreciated especially from an expert. Different pics of the piece at different angles are posted for viewing for both front and back. The Buckles are on the back. If you would like additional pics please let me know. As soon as the piece is identified, I plan on auctioning the relic off. Thank You!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 106
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 109
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg