What's new

Large Penny

Cat J

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2007
Messages
789
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Whites Sufe Master PI Pro
Found a Large US Penny Coin in my half roll Friday but I can not read the date. It is so crusty on the front. Any ideals on cleaning it.

Thanks
Cat
 

Attachments

  • Large US Cent.webp
    Large US Cent.webp
    9.2 KB · Views: 316
  • Large Cent Front.webp
    Large Cent Front.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 320
Upvote 0
looks like a Matron Head style 1816-1836. Ive dug a few of those. but never found one in a half roll. Great find. A good way of cleaning it is pouring some Hydrogen Peroxidoe in a glass and put it in the Microwave on like 40 sec. then just drop the coin in, it helps bring out the features and helps take the crust off. However Caution. the coin will become darker. Its kinda of a toss up. I have tried many diff. methods and foun d this is one of the better ones.
Keith
 
Thanks I will try that. I remember reading that on here before but forgot about it.

I wish I could read the date.

HH
Cat
 
Fantastic find Cat!! It's the first large cent I've heard of found in CRH. That's the good news...the great news is despite the fact that the date isn't readable, you can tell from the reverse lettering it's 1829-1837. Isn't that a dot between ONE and CENT? That would seal it.
 
I tried a rubbing but no date. Just to crusty.

My other finds on Friday before I left for Missouri.

3 X 64
1 X 66
12 X 67
5 X 68
4 X 69

One large Cent
One Balboa
One Eire
1 N KY Sports Park Token

HH
Cat
 
Oh I forgot ..

One 1976s proof

HH
Cat
 
in a roll from last week i found an 1807 king george penny....this coin showes all of its 201 years...
 

Attachments

  • DSCF4528.webp
    DSCF4528.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCF4527.webp
    DSCF4527.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 328
  • DSCF4528.webp
    DSCF4528.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 319
  • DSCF4527.webp
    DSCF4527.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCF4527.webp
    DSCF4527.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF4528.webp
    DSCF4528.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 315
  • DSCF4527.webp
    DSCF4527.webp
    94.1 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF4528.webp
    DSCF4528.webp
    98.5 KB · Views: 303
Another great find. What is it worth?

Cat
 
Immy said:
Fantastic find Cat!! It's the first large cent I've heard of found in CRH. That's the good news...the great news is despite the fact that the date isn't readable, you can tell from the reverse lettering it's 1829-1837. Isn't that a dot between ONE and CENT? That would seal it.

Like Immy says.
Congrats!
 
TXTim said:
Immy said:
Fantastic find Cat!! It's the first large cent I've heard of found in CRH. That's the good news...the great news is despite the fact that the date isn't readable, you can tell from the reverse lettering it's 1829-1837. Isn't that a dot between ONE and CENT? That would seal it.

Like Immy says.
Congrats!

Great find there Cat !
 
hello cat....since this 201 year old coin was found in a roll of halfs, and it looks so bad, to me its only worth 50 cents. but i will keep her...
 
It looks better than mine.

Congrats
Cat
 
Wow Cathy....that is an exciting find girl........very, very nice!! You just never know on any given day what will come out of those rolls of halves.

I am like Immy.....I can't ever remember anyone from this forum finding one of these in a roll before.

Again.....congrats girl!!!
 
LJ

Did you get your Ike's?

Cat
 
Cat J said:
LJ

Did you get your Ike's?

Cat

No Cat.....same as last week. They again recieved the small dollars instead. The vault teller said she would call them again this week to make sure she recieved LARGE dollars. Maybe the 3rd time is the charm huh.....lol.
 
They may not have any. Ike's are just to much work anyway. I still need to do something with mine.

Cat
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom