What's new

Large whatzit-- SOLVED!

joecoin

Full Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
192
Reaction score
16
Golden Thread
0
Location
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
Found this many years ago, came across it the other day and thought I'd post it here.

Found in an area where there was lots of farming activity from 1840 until the 1960's. The "teeth" are not sharp, it is not a bear trap. It is large, roughly 24" long. The picture that shows it open has it open fully, it does not swing open all the way around. Found with it was the large gear with arm attached.
 

Attachments

  • closed.webp
    closed.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 329
  • open.webp
    open.webp
    109.2 KB · Views: 341
  • largegear.webp
    largegear.webp
    93.2 KB · Views: 332
Re: Large whatzit

Joe, that is one cool thingamajig! (it is in fact a thingamajig). At first I thought maybe it was a press for some kind of fruit where you'd throw away the pulp, bit I'm beginning to think small furnace grate to an upright boiler of some kind that would empty when it was in the second position?
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

i believe that is a shaker grate for a stove, wood or coal, does it fit in the large ring? coal stoves made grates that would open up to dump clinkers out.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

olegoat, I guess stove would be possible as well as upright boiler. I'd just thought that the design seemed like overkill for a normal stove where usually you've got just the square rod sticking out to accept what's usally a small cast independent handle. Either way, it has fins big enough to absorb and hold heat for a grate of some kind.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

olegoat said:
i believe that is a shaker grate for a stove, wood or coal, does it fit in the large ring? coal stoves made grates that would open up to dump clinkers out.

That was my first guess, except for the gears. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

the gears are so one tool (handle) can dump or shake both peices of the grate.
i have parts of one that has gears, came out of a stove that i had, i think i just changed the grates to wood instead of coal, no need for them to open when burning wood.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

A stove or boiler has crossed my mind, it didn't get a lot of use if that's what it is, it's not showing signs of high heat.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

olegoat, as you alluded to, the large ring might fit. It would have to fit the grate itself, but perhaps rode on a ridgeof the stove casting above, where the attached handle was used to jiggle it sideways to drop ash that may cling to the walls. I guess there's no knowing yet whether it was fire to feed an upright boiler or just the innards of a stove itslef until we can see either one in the "flesh".
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

Kinda reminds me of a corn husker.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

I think it came out of some sorta grain thrashing machine
 
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

I believe it is a shaker - but for a forge.

Here is an example of one - there are as many as there are types of forges:



 

Attachments

  • forge grate.webp
    forge grate.webp
    19.1 KB · Views: 368
Upvote 0
Re: Large whatzit

Mrs O,

That certainly seems to be the answer. I know there was an iron forge in this area. I did not think it was on this exact site. Time to do some research!

Thank you very much.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom