Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......before the LA trip! :wink:

Just had to get one more hunt in before leaving for the dining/hunting adventure at Noodle's place in Louisiana Friday. Terri and I had agreed to meet at a ballpark that we had not hunted as of yet. I drive up and she's sitting in her car. I see this disappointed look on her face. Roll the window down and ask what's wrong. She points up the road, I look, and see that there is a gate and it's locked. :-\ I said, "OK, what's plan B?" :icon_pirat: She says, "I don't have one!" :P Then we start rolling ideas around and decided to get permission to hunt a tear down that we've been meaning to get to. Find the owner, get permission and get to hunting. If you've ever hunted a place that has just been torn down, then you know what a mess everything is. So I start looking for those areas that haven't been disturbed by the dozer. After about 30 minutes, I settle on a spot. Found a tax token, a few pieces of change, a key, a Chinese cash coin, miner's tag and a button with a 'P". Decided to move over a bit and found NINE more tax tokens! :P :D Finding ten tax tokens in one day is a record for me! :D I scoot down a little and find a merc. Good deal, I thought. Move on up and find a wheat and a rosie.
At the end of our hunts we always empty our pockets and share what we've found for the day. I went to take some site pics (which have gone into space somewhere, I can't find them on my computer) :'( When I get back, Terri says, "Hey, your merc is 1916 and your rosie is a 46." "Well, neat," I say, and we get into our cars and head for home. Now the second she said 1916, I'm thinking, "I know I've read on Tnet many times about the 1916 being a special coin, if it has a certain mint mark." I'm twenty minutes away from home and the closer I get, the faster I get! :D I'm about to die to know if I've found an extra special keeper! :D I finally get home and Charlie meets me as I drive up and get out. I'm so excited and head straight for the magnifying glass and coin book! ;D Here's what I found....
100_0954.jpg

100_0973.jpg
Well... :-\ But the trip home was exciting! :D
100_0974.jpg

Need a bit of help on the 'P" button and the Chinese coin if ya got anything. :)

100_0981.jpg

100_0984.jpg

100_0976.jpg

Thanks, and hope you all have a great week! Nana :)

Upvote 0
What a great array of finds Nana. Awesome. Shame that 1916 couldnt have had a D for you. :thumbsup:

Nana I'm so jealous :o congrats ! and that's an awesome merc :thumbsup:

Daryl, aka bioprofessor found a "P" button exactly like yours in Ebeneazer, Georgia. I believe that it turned out to be a police button.

Thanks, ya'll!

Thanks for the info on the CC, ML and the link, Crosby! And thanks Don and Mike on the 'P' button. :)

I dunno what it was attached to, John? ???

I'll be thinking about ya Cyn. Wish you could go too. :'(

ME.... :D

Hope ya have a great time, Jer!

NEAT, Lisa! :o

:-* Nicky! :D

Thanks again, ya'll! Have a great weekend!! Nana :wink:

Those are some super finds Nana. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Congrats on another great hunt, Pics, and post.

awesome finds :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have dug up one of those tire valve stem covers exactly like yours neat to see another one :tongue3:

You all be careful and see ya tomorrow

Nana,
Don't know why Im typing this, you are on the road to LA. When you get the chanch to read this I hope you have found more then anyone there, at the hunt.lol
Joe

Look at you, there you go with more buttons! That is a beauty Nana!! That "P" button will be a nice addition to your others. The Chinese cash coin is also a really nice find. Tell me, can you make out the backmark. I would be interested to know who made it :) You definitely had a stellar day....And silver to boot! Great huntin there Nana!!!! :wink: :wink:

Way to go Nana!!!!!!!!!!!!!

being a newbie on this site and to detecting in general I am really amazed to see all you gal MDers and your just not "eyecandy", you really know your stuff! Those are some terrifis finds and i can hardly wait to see what goodies you all bring back from your big Hunt. Keep up the good work and I'll be watching you hoping to pick up some tips!

Slipperyjack47

But no bullets huh? Must have been very disappointing. :wink: Your police button is fairly contemporary. Being an ex-cop I have seen a few. Back in the 1960s and early 1970s plice uniforms got so expensive that the individual pollice officer who had to buy his uniforms couldn't afford them. So, the uniform manufacturers started using the generic "P" buttons like the one you found. Before that each police department had buttons made specific with the police department's name on them. I am attaching a couple of examples to show you what I mean. Great hunt! M :D nty

Attachments

• DSC00948.JPG
    DSC00948.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 433
  • DSC00951.JPG
    DSC00951.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 429
Thank you, Jim for that info. :) And thanks Merf, Beefy (I'll see you in a bit), Fisher and Joe! ;D And thanks for that great compliment, Jack! :)
Senti...I can't read all it says on the button back but I can make out the letter 'A' and then the word 'Quality'.

Thanks again, Nana :)

Monty said:
But no bullets huh? Must have been very disappointing. :wink: Your police button is fairly contemporary. Being an ex-cop I have seen a few. Back in the 1960s and early 1970s plice uniforms got so expensive that the individual pollice officer who had to buy his uniforms couldn't afford them. So, the uniform manufacturers started using the generic "P" buttons like the one you found. Before that each police department had buttons made specific with the police department's name on them. I am attaching a couple of examples to show you what I mean. Great hunt! M :D nty

Monty, what is the back mark on that "P" Police Button? I would be interested to know. The reason I ask it that these "P" Police buttons did actually date to the Civil War Era. In addition, Nana's has an "Extra Quality" backmark which is a typical 19th Century Back mark. Here are a couple examples of the same button with different backmarks. Because Nana's has a generic "Extra Quality" backmark, it is difficult to know which company produced it:

http://www.greybirdrelics.com/Buttons.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Genuine-CIVIL-W...N-Scovill_W0QQitemZ270228187537QQcmdZViewItem

I do agree that these were also produced in the 60s and 70s and other decades of the 20th century as you eluded to BUT believe Nana's button to be from the mid 1800s to 1880s in date

Well, what the date of the button is could depend on where it was found and a lot of other factors. I am just responding with what I know about them but I am no button expert. When I get a chance I'll dig out some of my old uniforms and see what is on the back of the buttons. I am guessing they were made by more than one manufacturer. The old police buttons I have are solid brass, while the newer ones look plated, or at least they won't polish up like the old ones. M ??? nty

Wow at the tax tokens Nana! Pretty silver too. Great hunt!

Kent

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back