Last several hunts-have my computer back from the dead. Very first Seated quarter!

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK - after hunting an 1850's house, another oldy (maybe 1900) and a trip near up north near West Branch, MI., I had some luck including my first seated quarter- :headbang: Y E S! :headbang:

Have a look...

DSC_0203_100150.jpg DSC_0209_100156.jpg Both quarters found at older homestead, pennies at 1900's house

DSC_0214_100160.jpg DSC_0212_100159.jpg Foreign coins found at 1900's house (wheat penny thrown in for scale)

DSC_0202_100149.jpg DSC_0200_100147.jpg Near West Branch Michigan, soil was really hard to search. It must be high in minerals so I had to turn sensitivity way down. However all the good targets seemed to be about 8 inches or more. Couldn't stop thinking if I had a better machine I could get past these two obstacles and find more silver, but was happy with my finds. Very first signal I dug was this Military pin that still has the brass screw attachment on the back - about 8 inches down on a big slope. Other coins were found in the yard of my buddies cabin built around 1949. I don't know much about military items but I've found many different styles on the internet. There is nothing stamped on the back and the only words on the front is "E Pluribus Unum" of which part of pluribus is broken off. I've read about sweetheart pins, true cap pins and other sorts but not sure what I got here. Back appears to be brass but not sure about front so only cleaned with warm water and soap. Any ideas if it is true military issue ???

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going on the quarters! The military item is the Great Seal. Looks like the real deal. Maybe off a hat?

OP
OP
mjc_lakedweller

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was thinking hat as well because it has a little pointy nipple above the brass screw back-I assume this was to keep it from rotating. I wouldn't mind trying to get some of the rust off the top but not sure if it was from something else or if this is Feris based ???

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! Some really nice and outstanding digs you found there MJC! Good Hunting. :occasion14:

OP
OP
mjc_lakedweller

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK after some hours of internet surfing I have found the following:
Army vs AirForce. Army hat badges are apparently gold colored. This is an Air Force enlisted cap badge. Before the late 1950's they were made from sterling silver and had .925 stamped on back. After late 50's they were silver plated and had no stamp on back. This makes sense to me seeing his cabin was built around 49 or 50.

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first seated quarter and a Barber to boot, mjc. :hello2: Foreign coins are always fun. Neat military pin, too. WTG :icon_thumright:

HH

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet seated and nice lookin Barber

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You scored big time on the seated and barber :thumbsup: nice old coins and I got the opportunity to see the barber and seated in person ;D

OP
OP
mjc_lakedweller

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You scored big time on the seated and barber :thumbsup: nice old coins and I got the opportunity to see the barber and seated in person ;D

Yes, it was good to put a face with the name. Thanks, we'll have to head out together one of these times!

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome digs!!! :headbang: Seated quarter is still on my list. WTG on some sweet coinage and Great Seal

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, man nice score on the quarters there!....still looking for my first seated quarter, that would make my year! I did find one of those airforce brass hat emblems before....great bunch of finds!, congrats!

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the seated that is another coin that is on my wish list , that is a neat hat pin.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have yet to find my first seated quarter,Thanks for sharing!!

HH John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread