OutdoorAdv
Bronze Member
- Joined
- Apr 16, 2013
- Messages
- 2,457
- Reaction score
- 3,353
- Golden Thread
- 1
- Location
- East Coast - USA
- 🥇 Banner finds
- 1
- Detector(s) used
- XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
- Primary Interest:
- Metal Detecting
LC's, Cut 1748 King George, flint, flask and more...
I got out on Thurs (5/26) and yesterday (5/28) to do a little sifting. I've been in a copper slump for months now and it finally ended on Thursday with a crusty 1833 LC popping out of the side wall of the pit section. That was it for Thursday though and the rest of the pit was a bust. On Saturday I opened a different section and it was loaded! Its crazy how one small area is packed full of good non-ferrous, glass, bone and pottery and a few feet away the next section is empty!
A nice Jaw harp turned up that I tumbled and waxed, followed by a 1813 Classic Head LC that someone took a hammer to and pounded the rim until is flattened out. Was kind of bummed at this since its only my second Classic Head LC. I have lots of DB and Matron, but I just don't find many Classic Head. Another French Flintlock musket flint turns up and it looks well used. A handful of tombac buttons, shoe buckle fragments and.... Another cufflink! This one is a pewter with a drilled shank and I believe it held a paste stone at one time. The clasp is brass and has a very interesting design to it. While my 5 link streak ended many hunts ago, I have still found more cufflinks this year than I had in all the years prior.




Definitely one of my favorite finds from Saturday. I find lots of fragments like this and they are always broken cast buttons. Well I rub on this in the field and I see something on it... then I realize its a date and its a slice of a King George II Half Penny. It has "748" on the slice and the other side has the base of George's bust. I figured it was just broken because this is a very small denomination, but I believe there are chisel marks on it. You can see them on the right side of the cut on the bust side. Anyway, its a very interesting cut\broken colonial copper and something I would have never guessed. Its TINY and the Deus picked up a squeek between the nails in the clay at the bottom of the pit.

I dug the neck to this first and thought I had just found the neck to my Zachery Taylor flask that was dug a few feet away. Then the shard with the face on it surfaced and I realized I had a new flask. This is all I got from it, but I was able to get an ID on it and its pretty cool. Its a George Washington Monument Flask made between 1830-1850 commerating the George Washington Monument that was constructed in Baltimore beginning in 1813. Looking at earlier Baltimore ?Washington Monument? Historical Flasks | Peachridge Glass and here is the monument https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_(Baltimore)


The beat up Classic Head

I only do electrolysis on iron, but when the crusty 1833 LC turned up, I decided to give it a shot.
After toothpicking:

After boiling peroxide:

After 3 min in electrolysis:

I stopped after 5 minutes. I wanted to leave some of the verdigris on it. I really like the patina on a dug copper, so I dont enjoy the clean copper look, but I do love that its a coin I can ID and enjoy now.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the holiday weekend
Happy Hunting everyone.
I got out on Thurs (5/26) and yesterday (5/28) to do a little sifting. I've been in a copper slump for months now and it finally ended on Thursday with a crusty 1833 LC popping out of the side wall of the pit section. That was it for Thursday though and the rest of the pit was a bust. On Saturday I opened a different section and it was loaded! Its crazy how one small area is packed full of good non-ferrous, glass, bone and pottery and a few feet away the next section is empty!
A nice Jaw harp turned up that I tumbled and waxed, followed by a 1813 Classic Head LC that someone took a hammer to and pounded the rim until is flattened out. Was kind of bummed at this since its only my second Classic Head LC. I have lots of DB and Matron, but I just don't find many Classic Head. Another French Flintlock musket flint turns up and it looks well used. A handful of tombac buttons, shoe buckle fragments and.... Another cufflink! This one is a pewter with a drilled shank and I believe it held a paste stone at one time. The clasp is brass and has a very interesting design to it. While my 5 link streak ended many hunts ago, I have still found more cufflinks this year than I had in all the years prior.




Definitely one of my favorite finds from Saturday. I find lots of fragments like this and they are always broken cast buttons. Well I rub on this in the field and I see something on it... then I realize its a date and its a slice of a King George II Half Penny. It has "748" on the slice and the other side has the base of George's bust. I figured it was just broken because this is a very small denomination, but I believe there are chisel marks on it. You can see them on the right side of the cut on the bust side. Anyway, its a very interesting cut\broken colonial copper and something I would have never guessed. Its TINY and the Deus picked up a squeek between the nails in the clay at the bottom of the pit.

I dug the neck to this first and thought I had just found the neck to my Zachery Taylor flask that was dug a few feet away. Then the shard with the face on it surfaced and I realized I had a new flask. This is all I got from it, but I was able to get an ID on it and its pretty cool. Its a George Washington Monument Flask made between 1830-1850 commerating the George Washington Monument that was constructed in Baltimore beginning in 1813. Looking at earlier Baltimore ?Washington Monument? Historical Flasks | Peachridge Glass and here is the monument https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Monument_(Baltimore)


The beat up Classic Head

I only do electrolysis on iron, but when the crusty 1833 LC turned up, I decided to give it a shot.
After toothpicking:

After boiling peroxide:

After 3 min in electrolysis:

I stopped after 5 minutes. I wanted to leave some of the verdigris on it. I really like the patina on a dug copper, so I dont enjoy the clean copper look, but I do love that its a coin I can ID and enjoy now.

Thanks for looking and enjoy the holiday weekend
Happy Hunting everyone.
Upvote
36
I'd absolutely do it again, but it would have to be the right copper and in rough shape.







