What's new

Lead Ball...

CRUSADER

Emerald Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
41,306
Reaction score
48,543
Golden Thread
27
Location
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
27
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a huge lead ball far bigger than a usual musket ball (pictured to the right for scale).

I tried to weigh it but it was over 50grams so my scales won't cope with it.

Any ideas?
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    15.1 KB · Views: 285
Wouldn't want to get hit by that thing. :angel7:
 
Upvote 0
Is there any place that looks like it may have had and attachment. If so, I would say a fishing net weight.
 
Upvote 0
Drache said:
Could it be a piece of "shrapnel" from a canister shot or something similar from a cannon?

That was our thought when we found it. We are not near a battle site, as far as I'm aware, so its puzzelling.

72cheyenne said:
Is there any place that looks like it may have had and attachment. If so, I would say a fishing net weight.

Definately no misssing pieces, its smooth other than the casting mould line & an odd plough mark.
 
Upvote 0
they made grapeshot wit lead also in the civil war may be one. they would load several on a canvis bag and load them in the cannon.
 
Upvote 0
Found a reference to 16th century matchlock muskets:

Spanish muskets weighed 8 kg or more, had bore diameters of 18-22 mm. and fired lead bullets of 56-57 g.

Maybe it really is a musket ball...

DCMatt
 
Upvote 0
For what it's worth, we found one yesterday at a site that dates from the 17th century. More than 50 grams and much larger than a Brown Bess ball.

Daryl
 
Upvote 0
In my Civil War Projectiles II,book by McKee & Mason.On page 67 it talks about case shot & lead balls ranging in size from 1.30",1.13",1.115",1.00" and.855" all the way down to .285".Weight in grains from
3443,2160,2075,1497 and 932 all the way down to 34 grains.That are some of the sizes that have been
field recover.So their are a lot of different sizes used in different ways.Cannons,Rifles and pistols.
I know that I have found several case shot in the 1 inch dia.Hope this helps.Congrats on your find,I love finding and lead pieces.


fortbball9
 
Upvote 0
Yes, some of the early matchlock and wheellock guns were over 1 inch in diameter, I've seen a matchlock from the 15th century that was 1 1/4" bore size. it could be a very old round ball for a matchlock... but there would be no way to tell how old.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the inputs.

I did wonder myself if it could be a large bore musket type thing. But I have no knowledge of firearms, & I find it odd its the only one I have every had (we get muskets ball on every trip out)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom