invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This lead figure(?) was found near a farm house dating to at least 1869 and where a log cabin stood before. At first I thought it might be Santa Claus then saw the sash at the waist so then thought maybe a pirate or musketeer. If it is a figure then who do you think it is?

Other artifacts found nearby include an ELCO SECURE pad lock, 1919 Mercury Dime and 1943 Quarter.

Attachments

• Front1.jpg
    Front1.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Front2.jpg
    Front2.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Reverse1.jpg
    Reverse1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Reverse2.jpg
    Reverse2.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230829_140030.jpg
    20230829_140030.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230829_140044.jpg
    20230829_140044.jpg
    294.7 KB · Views: 68

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023
This lead figure(?) was found near a farm house dating to at least 1869 and where a log cabin stood before. At first I thought it might be Santa Claus then saw the sash at the waist so then thought maybe a pirate or musketeer. If it is a figure then who do you think it is?

Other artifacts found nearby include an ELCO SECURE pad lock, 1919 Mercury Dime and 1943 Quarter.
I think it’s a figure. Looks like there was an underside, and possibly bolted on to something such as furniture (I’m thinking). Looks like a leg of some sort was broken off. Definitely has captured my interest.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cajundetector, thanks for the figure vote and agree that part of a leg is broken off. I think several more parts are missing also - which making IDing more difficult. The hole in the one foot may be big enough for a small nail/screw - so will ponder the figure attaching to something else. Not sure there was an underside. It reminds me of a figure a person could do using a kit at home. Some were hollow and others solid lead.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nathan W, thanks - will check out the doll/dress angle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks creskol! While I think it is a shoulder and part of an arm, I'll add "dog" to the growing list of possibilities.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cajundetector

Mar 4, 2023

Ok, just throwing out ideas as I’m far from an expert. 2 years ago I dug an entire lead ingot with a company name. Company out of New Orleans disbanded in 1912. They sold ingots to sugar cane farmers as they would do their own repairs, make certain parts. This piece, to me, looks symmetrical and had some type of purpose, not just melted lead. I’m wondering, whatever it was intended to be, if it could have been a mistake/bad
it looks like a 1930's Nursery Rhyme Lead Figurine not this one made by tommy toys but similar
images
. View attachment 2102446
i think Tic is on to something ……he usually is! I can definitely see two legs in a seated position. I guess my question is could this have been some type of imperfection in the production process of the figure, explaining why the rest of the body is so obscure?

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it looks like a 1930's Nursery Rhyme Lead Figurine not these made by tommy toys but similar , the hole in the base could be a casting vent.
images
. View attachment 2102446
Thanks ticndig. I've been looking at pics of all kinds of lead figures since posting and the majority have an open space between the legs - which was throwing me off. See the example you posted on the right side gives me food for thought.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, just throwing out ideas as I’m far from an expert. 2 years ago I dug an entire lead ingot with a company name. Company out of New Orleans disbanded in 1912. They sold ingots to sugar cane farmers as they would do their own repairs, make certain parts. This piece, to me, looks symmetrical and had some type of purpose, not just melted lead. I’m wondering, whatever it was intended to be, if it could have been a mistake/bad

i think Tic is on to something ……he usually is! I can definitely see two legs in a seated position. I guess my question is could this have been some type of imperfection in the production process of the figure, explaining why the rest of the body is so obscure?
cajundetector you bring up some good points. Never thought of it being a mistake. With all the gashes in it & pieces missing I assumed it was played with too hard. The way it is shown in the first 2 pictures makes it look like it is seated. Tonight I rotated it CCW so that it is standing on the longer of the 2 legs with the foot (not the hole). Tomorrow I'll post an annotated picture of what features I think I can ID.

Upvote 0

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023

It's a dog ! I have found all kinds of lead figures. Pumpkins, animals, witches wizards, knives and other intricate items. Lead is maluabale and can be remelted easily therefore I assume it was used as a way to keep the kiddos busy while the grown ups did the chores.

Upvote 1

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a dog ! I have found all kinds of lead figures. Pumpkins, animals, witches wizards, knives and other intricate items. Lead is maluabale and can be remelted easily therefore I assume it was used as a way to keep the kiddos busy while the grown ups did the chores.
We'd love to see some of them if you're willing to share.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All, here are some additional pics taken after a gentle cleaning. Thinking about a Labrador Retriever pics 1 & 2 show the end view of the “muzzle” when viewed on an angle from the front. The bottom portion outlined in blue is thicker and more uniform than the upper portion outlined in red. That is due in part to the casting as shown when looking at the reverse in picture #3. There the upper portion really shows wear/tear and an uneven edge. Making the shape of the head unreliable. Because of this and I’m unable to picture a dog in the overall context, picture #4 is what my eyes see. Picture #5 is the reverse. Unfortunately I’m not able to make out any letters.

The current property owner told me the former owner lives next door. So I’ll stop by in the next day or two. If someone answers the door, I’ll ask if they’ve ever seen anything like this. If so, will post here.

Attachments

• 1 - Muzzle front end view.JPG
    1 - Muzzle front end view.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 6
  • 2 - Muzzle front close-up.JPG
    2 - Muzzle front close-up.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3 - Muzzle reverse.JPG
    3 - Muzzle reverse.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 4 - Front annotated.JPG
    4 - Front annotated.JPG
    543.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 5 - Reverse.jpg
    5 - Reverse.jpg
    634.9 KB · Views: 10
Upvote 1
OP
OP
I

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blackfoot58 thanks for posting the close-up pic. I checked the area again with a loop and only see gashes and typical lines.

I stopped at former owner's home and no one answered the door despite 3 cars being in the driveway. So will continue to look at pics on-line. Everyone who has replied has given me lots of good leads to pursue. A BIG THANKS!

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread