tabdog said:
I am not trying to say I am right. I
don't know.
I just used a commonly used term
and got called on it.
Any brighter minds are welcomed, by
me, to chime in.
Happy Huntin,
Tabdog
Silver Searcher said:
Why don't we just call them Lead seals

like the UKF Data Base doe's, which covers Bag, Bale and Coth Seal

here's 22 pages of them for you all to look through
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=131
SS
I think the point you and Tabdog are missing is that whatever you want to call them is fine with me. The point is that none of the 22 pages of bag, bale and cloth lead seals have a wire. The lead seal posted at the top of the page is the only one that counts and its hard to be sure without a pic of the back but I can see remains of a rusted wire.
I hope I am not upsetting anybody, just trying to make the proper ID. IMO its very possible to be a meter tag.

8)
ADDED: I guess its also possible to be a post 1857 "bale" tag. But nothing presented proves it wasnt used on a meter. Im not calling you Tabdog on your use of the word bale. Im calling you on your opinion that it cannot be a meter tag. If you can present evidence otherwise would be great as I am always willing to learn. 8)
tabdog said:
That is a bale seal.
They only look like the meter seals.
They stopped using bale seals in the
mid 1800's. That was before gas and
elec.
Here is one I found,
They identified trade goods in transit.
Happy Huntin,
Tabdog
If it has wire, its most likely post-1857 not pre-1850's. Im not saying Im right. Im just saying that IMO we cannot rule out meter tag.