What's new

Lead Spindle Whorl??

DavidBeard

Hero Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2008
Messages
507
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
1
Location
Derbyshire
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,
On my last visit to the 'Grenade' farm I dug this - very deep!
Do you get spindle whorls this long? All the ones I've found so far (and seen on the net) are short and fat - this one is around 27mm long, 19mm wide in middle.
If not spindle whorl what could it be? Any idea of age?

Lead-Spindle-Whorl-Weight1.webp

Lead-Spindle-Whorl-Weight2.webp

Thanks in advance.
David.
 
It's a spindle whirl or a weight of some kind, if that's any help :D
 
Upvote 0
shaun7 said:
It's a spindle whirl or a weight of some kind, if that's any help :D

We find many of these on our sites. I also thought them to be late medieval weights for? (not sure) I chuck them with all the low alpha lead.
 
Upvote 0
David, I know some of your finds in the U.K. that often look similar to ours are often for completely different usages. If it helps though, I have scanned too varieties of net weights which I've found in the U.S.. . I seem to remember finding some with a more pronounced angle like yours, but I'll have to look harder to find them.

The first group is the more modern solid weight which dates from the mid to late 19th century through the early 20th.

The second group is from the late 18th century through the early 19th century. Weights from this early period are almost always cast flat, and then bent around the net rope rather than the rope threading through as the later ones do.
 

Attachments

  • net weights.webp
    net weights.webp
    105.3 KB · Views: 461
  • older net weights.webp
    older net weights.webp
    81.9 KB · Views: 560
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
David, I know some of your finds in the U.K. that often look similar to ours are often for completely different usages. If it helps though, I have scanned too varieties of net weights which I've found in the U.S.. . I seem to remember finding some with a more pronounced angle like yours, but I'll have to look harder to find them.

The first group is the more modern solid weight which dates from the mid to late 19th century through the early 20th.

The second group is from the late 18th century through the early 19th century. Weights from this early period are almost always cast flat, and then bent around the net rope rather than the rope threading through as the later ones do.
I agree :thumbsup: proberbly net weights....trouble is these are a common find, and are very difficult to place ID, and time frame.

SS

http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=20891&cat=188
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the help so far guys.
I guess this will have to end up as an uncertain lead weight of uncertain age!
 
Upvote 0
DavidBeard said:
Thanks for all the help so far guys.
I guess this will have to end up as an uncertain lead weight of uncertain age!

Thats UK detecting. We know the least about the most common :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
I was going through some of my lead this morning and I dug this out. It seems to be the same design as David's. It's sometimes easier to date these weights over here, mostly because I've found many on one single homestead. It's easier to see the evolution from the oldest style of bent weight, to the highly white powdered round weight , to eventually the longer weights which along with some styles of rounds, are almost always much nearer the surface and have less whitening to the lead. Judging from the relics and coins I find with this particular style of weight, I'd date it in the last quertar of the 19th century. (almost all my weights that I find here are barely worn, probably due to the grass and sand bottom of the bay)
 

Attachments

  • net weight.webp
    net weight.webp
    33.3 KB · Views: 269
Upvote 0
4-H said:
David. Here in the states I have found two of these as well.
Although they were crafted with the indigenous "red clay".
They are identical....Interesting
johnnyi said:
...I was going through some of my lead this morning and I dug this out. It seems to be the same design...
Thanks guys! Very interesting - I think I'll leave this open a little longer - Got a meeting at the Museum in December - I'll bring it up there.
Is it possible that you could get a picture up of the Red Clay ones?
Thanks.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom