Lead weight vest/belt/harness choices

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Keen 4'' dredge with race car stickers to make it pump faster.
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently I use 60# of lead on a belt with suspenders, but when I dredge I wind up in all types of positions that will make my belt twist and turn, go backwards and become completely uncomfortable. I was wondering if switching to a vest would be the right way to go. The only one I could find is the one offered by Keene. It has a quick release and can accommodate up to 60# of lead shot. Has anyone used a vest instead of a belt? Any other Ideas on using weights?

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good heavy duty carpenter style suspenders should not let twisting happen?? Run the suspenders between the weights or poprivit them directly to the weights on the inside to prevent moving around.Tighten the belt--not to denig but big bellies do complicate things-not saying you-just in general. I've had more trouble with shot belts running up on me but all built differently. Leg weights keep you planted firmly,even the light 5 pounders with Velcro straps help in fast water and let ya reduce belt weights quite a bit-John

OP
OP
chef440rt

chef440rt

May 2, 2014
central MA
Detector(s) used
Keen 4'' dredge with race car stickers to make it pump faster.
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The poprivit idea is great. My belt always twist and turns because the weights will slide around on the belt causing the suspenders to move around and fall off my shoulder. If I snug everything with poprivits maybe that will secure everything in place. Great idea.

waveaction

Feb 5, 2013
Stevens Point Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use 1/2" x 1/2" Lag Screws to attach the weights to Trident Weight Belt Suspenders that I get from scuba.com This works fairly well. Make sure the suspenders are all set for your body shape with wetsuit on before taking off and attaching the weights. I have a belly and a roll at the start of the dredging season but halfway through I loose my belly and my roll and I can wear a belt with weights.... LOL

I have been looking at the Keene shot weight vest as well. Looks very comfortable. Perhaps I will pick one up and give it a try this coming season. I dredge up in Alaska.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Watch out for anything QUICK RELEASE as when it accidently happens bad things happen to your ears/lungs if not experienced-John

rebel003

Feb 17, 2011
Winston, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
$_57.JPG this is the one I use. works great.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever lost air immediately and were stuck on the bottom without? I have had plenty of situations where getting out of your weights fast is really important. So I put 40lbs on the first belt with suspenders between the 2 weights on each side and this will allow me to swim if needed or go to the surface fast enough. Then I have a belt with 30lbs. that I put on above the first but with no suspenders. This helps hold the bottom belt in place and I can remove the top belt when it is time to come up and leave it at the bottom of the hole. Suspenders can be screwed into place but if you position them between the weights and fasten them securely this will then limit the belts movement. I use a lot of weight keepers to hold everything and I've never had the need to screw the weights onto the belt. Then I have different set ups for the different thickness's of suits. I have a pouch belt that the weights slip into and because the pouches are about 8" deep, they secure the weights to my body.
This is a picture of the front and back of my primary weight belt with suspenders. Put 40lbs on this belt and then 20 or whatever on the belt that you put on above and over the top. The deep wide pockets make carrying the weights really about as comfortable as possible. You don't ever have that 2" belt pain from it chewing into your hips. Plus the top belt rests on the bottom belt pockets and honestly, you will laugh at yourself for not having done this years ago.

I still have the old style weight belts set up for friends or if someone needs an extra but I rarely use it myself because the pouched belts comfort is just unbelievable. Then the suspenders have quick releases on them just like the belt, so if there really is an emergency of any kind, I can drop one or both instantly.

7691a.jpg lrg-click_release_harness.jpg

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Currently I use 60# of lead on a belt with suspenders, but when I dredge I wind up in all types of positions that will make my belt twist and turn, go backwards and become completely uncomfortable. I was wondering if switching to a vest would be the right way to go. The only one I could find is the one offered by Keene. It has a quick release and can accommodate up to 60# of lead shot. Has anyone used a vest instead of a belt? Any other Ideas on using weights?

I have found that if your weight's don't go around the side of you a ways then you will have very little control and will constantly want to roll. Also I use 4 led weights on a belt that are close to 65 lbs, they always pinched and moved around on the belt making it very uncomfortable so I put them where I liked them and duct taped them all together with a lot of tape. They were a little stiff to start with but now I don't even know that i'm wearing them.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A friend of mine made a simple one strap waist belt for me last year.
He used self tapping screws to set the weights to the belt, simple, cheap and available almost everywhere.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should have started wearing the suspender style many MANY years ago as now I paying the piper(doctors) for tooo much for way tooo long strapped to my waist with 75-125 lbs a lead for at least 1,500 hours a year. Doc says I'm like a ol'sway back horse and I got him good as I retorted no a Jackass.....John

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been using these on my belts, secure and prevent sliding of the lead, never had a problem with twisting. however, if i did not have the waist belt on shug it would turn on me, shoulder straps are the way to go, right there with you John been wearing Occidentals for decades and then on the weekends ware a belt with 15lb lead blocks, walking across the slippery cobble

Attachments

• weightbeltclips.jpg
    weightbeltclips.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 144

G1sammons

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2012
Murfreesboro tn
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used the vest with pockets all the way around for a few years and it has many benefits over belts ! Only problem I've had is the quick release system , all the green horns I take down always seem to pull the cord .
But it also give you a lot of storage to carry things with ya .

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
when I need more than 20lb weight, I use one of my commercial heavy belts. I have both 5 and 8lb weights, they bolt on and the belts don't move around when working. ive been in all positions in my heavy belts. don't buy a new one, find a used one. my new one was $250 with 40lbs, this one pictured I bought for $50 with the weights. its fully adjustable and you can put so much weight on these, you cant pick it up. I used one with 80lbs of lead in the East River in manhatten at full flow doing a pier inspection
heavybelt.jpg

Finn

Nov 17, 2015
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like to use 10lbs chest weight and 6lbs each boots in addition to 30lbs shoulder strap belt, like in those old Siebe Gorman systems but less. It takes some weight of ones back and provides very steady, balanced horizontal position. Viking lead boots has emergency quick release system, i like them.

I have been diving only with rubber dry suit which has negative buoyancy like rubber boots, i don't know how it would work with neoprene suit.

Salud

Finn

Last edited:

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always wear ankle weights also, but just enough to keep my feet from floating (3-5lb on each foot) when im laying prone . I also wear hardsole wader boots not booties. way back when I started commercial diving, I had a set of the Navy MK12 boots and they worked great but were expensive. I still have some of the MK12 spares, like the leg weight pouches for the round stick weights that were put on the blue coveralls. they work like a set of leg gaiters and hold 5 sticks in each leg. I also have a set of steel tip rubber mud boots that I put a strip of lead around the heel to stop them from floating.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread