Learned a lesson today

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Walked to Coinstar unit and saw a few coins. I’m new at this. Have only found one coin til today: a ‘52 Roosevelt dime. So I had visions of grandeur for a moment. I thought The reject hole word have: foreign coins, damaged coins or old coins where the weight was different. Well, I got the following 4 coins today:
2021 Roosevelt dime
1999 Jefferson nickel
2021 Lincoln cent
1988 Lincoln cent (a lot of green patina)
None were damaged at all. Possibly the 1988 cent was off-weight due to the green scale. Otherwise, why would, newer US coins, in great shape, get rejected? Just wondering about coinstar. No complaints though. It’s better than getting skunked. 🦨 👃

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walked to Coinstar unit and saw a few coins. I’m new at this. Have only found one coin til today: a ‘52 Roosevelt dime. So I had visions of grandeur for a moment. I thought The reject hole word have: foreign coins, damaged coins or old coins where the weight was different. Well, I got the following 4 coins today:
2021 Roosevelt dime
1999 Jefferson nickel
2021 Lincoln cent
1988 Lincoln cent (a lot of green patina)
None were damaged at all. Possibly the 1988 cent was off-weight due to the green scale. Otherwise, why would, newer US coins, in great shape, get rejected? Just wondering about coinstar. No complaints though. It’s better than getting skunked. 🦨 👃
I used to run a pennies-for-patients fundraiser and ran a lot of coins through the machines.

Sometimes the sorter kicks out coins when it gets overwhelmed even though there is nothing wrong with the coins so most coins that get kicked tend to just be regular old, free money that might be collected if sent through again. Sometimes there is something off about the coin that may not be obvious at first. Dirt or corrosion will also get a coin kicked out. Sometimes the coins get stuck together and kicked out. I have gotten two proof coins from the bin. Not sure why they were rejected.

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
I used to run a pennies-for-patients fundraiser and ran a lot of coins through the machines.

Sometimes the sorter kicks out coins when it gets overwhelmed even though there is nothing wrong with the coins so most coins that get kicked tend to just be regular old, free money that might be collected if sent through again. Sometimes there is something off about the coin that may not be obvious at first. Dirt or corrosion will also get a coin kicked out. Sometimes the coins get stuck together and kicked out. I have gotten two proof coins from the bin. Not sure why they were rejected.
Thanks, that explains a lot. 👍🏼

OP
OP
Blackfoot58

Blackfoot58

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2023
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Simplex+
Thanks, that explains a lot. 👍🏼
Pennies for patients sound great. The last few years I’ve been saving money that I find, in parking lots, etc. Just visual finds. I throw them in a quart jar. At the end of the year I count it up and match it with an equal amount. It goes to the Red Kettle or our area Shrine hospital fund. I quit during COVID, for health reasons. 2022 was $10.05 thanks to a $5 bill. That’ll go to the Shrine soon, as $20.10. It is a pittance, but it helps with the great care those kids receive.

Attachments

• ED48E109-77A9-468E-99E0-B32D12CFD833.jpeg
    ED48E109-77A9-468E-99E0-B32D12CFD833.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 11

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread