What's new

Leather(?) Sailboat Cufflink

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would certainly appreciate any information, especially a date on this unusual cufflink. The sailboat is 3-D and is under a domed glass or some type of acrylic. From the side it looks like one of those Christmas snow globes. I can see the edge of the sailboat, which looks to be about 1/16" of an inch tall. The outside of the cufflink appears to be leather with brass. Thanks, Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CuffLink1.webp
    CuffLink1.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 290
  • CuffLink2.webp
    CuffLink2.webp
    9.5 KB · Views: 287
That is really cool. I don't have any idea on the age or anything else about it though. Sorry
 
Upvote 0
That is very nice Breezie :icon_thumleft:
I thought maybe, reverse-carved Lucite - it isn't that, I guess. It looks much older.
Mike
 
Upvote 0
That is an absolutly neat find, i look forward to learning more about it. A simply beautiful piece.
 
Upvote 0
Hey Ya'll, Thanks for the kudos! I took a couple more pics in the light of day to show the depth of the dome, which after better examination is solid glass As you can see, the sailboat is sculpted and painted in detail. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CuffLink3.webp
    CuffLink3.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 232
  • CuffLink4.webp
    CuffLink4.webp
    28.9 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0
Pre 1920, I would guess. Well Crafted. Probably from a speciality jeweler on the east coast.
Very nice.
DG
 
Upvote 0
Very nice! Could be wrapped in an exotic marine species skin like eel, shark, etc. It looks like a porthole cuff link. As far as the year, pinpoint the ship and even the race flag. I'm thinking late 19th early 20th century on yours. Possibly even related to America's Cup.
 
Upvote 0
Wow, that's really unique. If you had the 2nd one, I'm sure you would be wearing em...I know I would.

:wink: RR
 
Upvote 0
The ship bears a resemblance to the sloops used in yacht races in 1899-1900. The cuff link may have been part of a set presented to a crewman, (sorry, not crewperson back then, ;D)
 

Attachments

  • AmericasCup1899.webp
    AmericasCup1899.webp
    31.7 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 0
GopherDaGold said:
Very nice! Could be wrapped in an exotic marine species skin like eel, shark, etc. It looks like a porthole cuff link. As far as the year, pinpoint the ship and even the race flag. I'm thinking late 19th early 20th century on yours. Possibly even related to America's Cup.

GDG, There is not enough skin/leather to really tell what it is, but I like your idea. I was thinking it was probably made before 1880 since I researched in the 1880's George Krementz patented a device based on a civil war cartridge shell-making machine that could mass produce one-piece collar buttons and cufflinks. So since this one is connected by a chain instead of the one piece "ball & shank,' I'm thinking it is before 1880's. Any one agree with this theory? Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
All of the civil war period cuff links I've dug and seen have had chain links and as far as I know all the ball and shank type I've seen that could be dated were 1880's or later. I also think GopherDaGold has a good idea about it being wrapped in some type of skin.
 
Upvote 0
I found this blurb on the internet about early cufflinks. Anyone think this one is made from the glass paste?
The first cufflinks started out as moderately simple buttons, linked together by a small chain, while the rest of the western world was fine wearing ribbon or ordinary string to fasten their shirtsleeves. These first cufflinks were made of glass, but in the 18th century a new jewelry material made of glass paste was used to create the little gems. Breezie
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom