Lessons learned the hard way

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The ground is frozen and I am house bound for the foreseeable future so I thought I would start a thread to alleviate the boredom. My Dad always said I had to learn things the hard way and I guess he was right. I was just curious if any of you would care to share any lessons that you had to learn the hard way. I will be glad to start with something I learned about a week ago...

You should never use nail clippers if you have had a little too much to drink (I'm only typing with 7 of my fingers at the moment).

Yes I know...I'm an id10t! C'mon share some of your tales of woe since we are all semi anonymous on the internet and please don't judge any one who responds to this topic so that we can all enjoy a good laugh at our own experiences. :tard:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember as a small boy I was in the bathroom and I wanted to play with the little night light thingy that plugged into the wall, I pulled it out of the socket and looked at it, it was kinda warm. So, I go to plug it back in, first time ever playing with a wall plug type device. I pushed it in with my feeble little fingers that were touching both spades of the little friendly night light. CONTACT WAS MADE and it blew my sorry little ass about ten feet across the cold tile floor of the bathroom. I learned a lot that day.

wayne_sa

Jun 30, 2009
san antonio
As a young boy waiting on the school bus on a bitter Detroit January, I spotted a metal doohickey laying on the ground. It looked like the bolt from a rifle in retrospect. On that chilly morning, however, it looked like a tasty frosted tongue tempter. :tongue3:
It hung heavy on my tongue for ten minutes and finally fell off leaving a burning white patch where tender tastebuds once thrived. :angry4:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to Have an Antique Propaine Stove / Oven

it had to be lit with a match.

One day I Decided to use it & spent about 3 to 5 minutes
dropping Matches in the hole, trying to get the Pilot to Light.
Being I Never give up, I just kept trying.

Needles to say It lit, But the stove Lifted I don't know
how high off the floor & I landed on the other side the
Kitchen :laughing7: Was Pretty Cool actually :headbang:

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stuck things into wall sockets for much of my young life :tongue3: I don't remember doing it much, probably because I was unwittingly performing electro-shock therapy upon my budding grey matter. I got wacked countless times for doing so, or so I'm told :dontknow:

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Pay special attention to where your knees are when working on an old oil fired furnace. Working on a furnace, years ago, i didnt notice that one of my knees was hitting the electrodes on the transformer as i hit the start button. It was good for 10,000 volt whack :laughing9:

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The secret to a long life

Make sure the sailor at the helm can't swim

Bayter

Dec 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't run in the house and don't play with fire! Two things my mom told me numerous times. Yet by the time I was seven I set the garage on fire. At 14 I streaked through the house, after smacking my older brother in the head (for no reason I'm sure), older brother right on my heals, I ran right into the bathroom door jamb and went head long into the toilet. Broke my little toe and bruised my ego. :-\

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I smoked for around 10 yrs and I went hunting one day. I could not even make it back to the woods that was about 3/4 mles back. I was completly out of breath and I had to lay down in the snow. I was there for about a hour I prayed to god to let me make it out of there and I would quit smoking. It has been 38 yrs and I have not touched another smoke.. My leason don't smoke....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions