Lets be careful out there, a reminder.

Deadwood Dick

Mar 13, 2011
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
A lowly Bounty Hunter 202
Let's be careful out there, a reminder.

Was out panning today on a steep hill in a little creek and had found some flakes and flour gold. I started to reach for a rock and the next thing I knew I was rolling down the steep creek and banging off of big boulders.
When I finished I was battered and bruised and had bruised my ribs. As I am setting in the creek I am thinking. You dumb ass. You aren
't 35 anymore nor 55 for that matter. My wife had no idea where I was and my phone was in my coat pocket back up the hill.
I was lucky, just my pride and a few scrapes were hurt.
I broke the number one rule of being out alone. Always let someone know where you are going and when you will be back. I can't tell you the number of search and rescues I have been on because someone didn't do that and here I am setting in a creek being the dumb butt I have always cussed.
Just a reminder, like Sarge always said, "let's be careful out there".

Upvote 0

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Re: Let's be careful out there, a reminder.

Glad you were not seriously injured. This story made me think about that recent film where dude had to hack off his arm to get out of that crevasse. I won't be watching that movie anytime soon.

Bumpstick

Jun 1, 2008
Lake Country WI.
Detector(s) used
MineLab/ Excalibur&Exterra705/ Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I here you on that; :headbang:
I took a slide down a slick bluff buckets in hand and a tree stopped my rapid descent. :help:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:P Thats exactly what I told my bud Larry who bought my SF American claims---2 days before he was found dead in the river feeding crawdads ALONE :help: John

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yup, we are NOT ten feet tall and bullet proof!

People die every year due to poor choices. Myself I've learned to depend on a "Spot Messenger" GPS messaging system. I carry it with me All The Time when I'm out and I send out messages frequently. Messages offer three choices: OK = I"m ok, Help = I'm injured, moving but could need help, 911 = come get me. The following are included with Each message sent:
Date
Time
Lattitude & Longitude

Your spot will be known to others but it is better than death.

63bkpkr

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_thumleft: TONS A AU TO YOU 2 A and playtime resumes AFTER EIR done and Sac meet on May 10th over--then BBQ and beer time on your hill bud YAHOO :headbang: -respect--John

PROSPECTORMIKEL

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2011
N/W ARKANSAS
Detector(s) used
FISHER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DWD
GLAD YOU MADE IT HOME SAFE. I THINK WE ALL CAN TELL A STORY OR TWO A LOT LIKE THAT.
GLAD TO HAVE MADE IT HOME SAFE MYSELF ON A FEW OCCASIONS. SOME TIME WE JUST GET LUCKY AND COME HOME EMPTY HANDED.

STAY SAFE
PROSPECTORMIKEL

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

63bkpkr said:
Yup, we are NOT ten feet tall and bullet proof!

People die every year due to poor choices. Myself I've learned to depend on a "Spot Messenger" GPS messaging system. I carry it with me All The Time when I'm out and I send out messages frequently. Messages offer three choices: OK = I"m ok, Help = I'm injured, moving but could need help, 911 = come get me. The following are included with Each message sent:
Date
Time
Lattitude & Longitude

Your spot will be known to others but it is better than death.

63bkpkr

What do they cost to buy and use?

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frank,
Gramps looked them up on Amazon and indicated the older model, the one I have and IT WORKS, was about $75. The service is $130 a year. The company, IMHO, has gotten a bit chicken as it charges an extra fee for road service calls. When I pushed the 911 button it took the chopper 3 hours to be on top of me but they could not land as I was in heavy trees. The ground crew got to me 7 hours later and I was mighty happy to see them. Regardless of their cost structure I will not go into the mountains without it as I know it works and I go back into some country most folks shun, like the place I was plucked out of..........63bkpkr

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max

63bkpkr said:
Frank,
Gramps looked them up on Amazon and indicated the older model, the one I have and IT WORKS, was about $75. The service is $130 a year. The company, IMHO, has gotten a bit chicken as it charges an extra fee for road service calls. When I pushed the 911 button it took the chopper 3 hours to be on top of me but they could not land as I was in heavy trees. The ground crew got to me 7 hours later and I was mighty happy to see them. Regardless of their cost structure I will not go into the mountains without it as I know it works and I go back into some country most folks shun, like the place I was plucked out of..........63bkpkr

Thanks for the info. Right now I think I will just make sure someone goes with me at least until I strike it rich lol

OP
OP
Deadwood Dick

Deadwood Dick

Mar 13, 2011
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
A lowly Bounty Hunter 202

Thanks for the well wishes. Came out with a broken rib so I am not too frisky right now but getting better. Think I will do metal detecting for a while.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The warmth in the NorCal mountains is slowly coming up to speed and is nicely melting the snow slowly but the cfs on the rivers is around 4000 so still very dangerous and cold..........63bkpkr

Cherokee_Kidd

Feb 16, 2010
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That reminds me of the last prospecting trip I went on with my brother in law. He slipped on a wet rock and went head first into the creek and I had to help him out. A few days later I slipped on a wet rock and landed on the most painful part of the body a man could land on and I walked funny for the next couple days. My brother went with me once to colorado where we were prospecting and he slid down a hill and landed on our sister who was panning in the creek below.

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lil tip when you sliding down the hills fellas keep your legs CLOSED :censored:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread