LETS DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Re: LET'S DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!!

TreasurdiggrNY said:
This is really starting to roll, I posted some links to a few of the parks suggested by Ricardo_NY1, he and Joe G. and LI Tom do some great stuff together.
Clove Lakes Park on Staten Island http://nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/historical_signs/hs_historical_sign.php?id=7659

Prospect Park in Brooklyn
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=B073

Silver Lake Park on Staten Island is right next to Clove Lakes Park above
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=R022

Forest Park in Queens
http://www.nycgovparks.org/sub_your_park/park_info_pages/park_info.php?propID=Q015

There's quite a few places out there Glenn, I would say Van Cortland Park in the Bronx, but the rangers out there have a vendetta for MD'ist after some prick went around not covering his plugs, so I'd say pass. As mentioned, you can count me in. I'm pretty sure Tom and Joe will be interested. Either Harry or I can give our friend Phil O from the Bronx a call about this. He's a nice guy and seasoned MD'ist. I know there are others out there in LI like Bmangley. pulltabsteve, bookfisher etc that could come out.

Ricardo

xenaskm

Oct 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Silver, Tesoro Tiger Shark

Hi,

You can also go to the address Glenn posted to get your NYC permit in person, I did and got my permit in less than 20 minutes. The parks you can md in are listed on the permit. I don't have mine in front of me right now, but I think Prospect Park is on the list. I don't know about Forest Park. In the Bronx a person can only md in Van Cortland Park, Pelham Bay Park and Soundview Park. There are restrictions on exactly where in the parks mding is allowed. Not everyone follows the restrictions, but with a large number of people I think it's better to be safe than sorry.

Sue

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Thanks Sue for that info, I just want to add that if your going there in person call ahead to be sure you will be able to get one. I called several weeks ago on a Thursday to go get mine and they told me they could not accommodate me until the following week.

Ricardo,
I like the looks of Clove Lakes Park it has some old history if you check the web link above AND from the map it looks like it's right across the road from Silver Lake Park. Then again I have said that about all the site choices :D

Glenn

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

HI Glenn,
The locations Ricardo mentioned in the city are probably some of our best bets with the exception of Van Cortlandt Park not only for the reasons Ricardo mentioned but also because I've been searching the park lately and the pickings are slim to none. Apparently the large fields there are "transplanted" fields (filled in). The picnic areas are extraordinarily trashy and the wooded areas and nature trails are off limits.
Unless your gonna pick up a permit yourself, which I recommend, I suggest you start mailing in your applications NOW !! It took me almost a month to get mine back.

Harry.

ikes4ever

Nov 27, 2007
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 1000 and DFX

sorry guys cant make it. I am going to a VW show in Campbelltown PA that weekend. best of luck to all and I hope to make it next time.

MetalFury

May 25, 2006
New Jersey

I'm pretty sure I could also make this as I live not far from Staten Island at all. I'm in Roselle Park NJ near Elizabeth...right across the Arthur Kill from SI...sounds like this would be fun!

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Hello Fellow Members,

I am sure there are a lot of members from the Tri-State areas of NY/NJ/CT.

How about getting together for a hunt this spring? I am thinking a Saturday or Sunday, early A.M. start, sometime in April or May would be a good starting point to consider?

Please don't suggest Mothers Day or Memorial day weekend, I have done some fishing get-togethers and the days just don't work out.

I will sort through the replies and keep you updated on what is shaping up to be the best place and time. I would like to get the day and location confirmed by the end of February so.... all you need to give me for right now is some info like:
1. Saturday or Sunday in April or May you want to get together, Mothers Day and Memorial Day weekend excluded.
2. Site recommendation

Once we decide on the day and location I will start a new thread so we can discuss other things like food and drinks, who needs a ride, who can bring what etc.

I will hunt anytime/ anywhere I have no preference, I am just as happy on the beach as I am in the mud.

I think it would be nice to get out with a bunch of other Tnet Members for a day of fun.

Glenn
I haven't been in a group hunt since a competition in Atlantic City in the early '90s. On one level it sounds like a great way to spend a day. But I also visualize certain problems with group hunts in locations other than a beach, particularly a park. The reason I'm negative about it is because I'm not your average detectorist, I consider myself an "ethical" detectorist and that means I rarely dig holes, I use a homemade fiberglass probe to get the majority of my finds. Yes, once in a while one has to dig a hole but, frankly, I've rarely seen a detectorist that is concerned about the size of a hole necessary to retrieve a penny!

In the past when I would visit Central Park I'd see a group of detectorist illegally detecting and leaving fields of poorly refilled holes. Yes, they put the dirt back and stomped on the mound but the area always looked terrible.

The Staten Island location does not sound like anyone is going to walk with old coins. Yeah, '30s, '40s, '50s and some '60s coins sound good but the won't be any 1800s ones.

I'm not going to attend physically but mentally I'll be there cheering you all on. However, to the organizers: please make sure that every participant be made aware of being as neat as possible is a plus for future events. In NYC, the Parks Department is very zealous of its grounds.

If only permission could be granted for such an event in Central Park, half a block from my apartment building! I'd be the first one there at the crack of dawn!

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Silver Fox said:
TreasurdiggrNY said:
Hello Fellow Members,

I am sure there are a lot of members from the Tri-State areas of NY/NJ/CT.

How about getting together for a hunt this spring? I am thinking a Saturday or Sunday, early A.M. start, sometime in April or May would be a good starting point to consider?

Please don't suggest Mothers Day or Memorial day weekend, I have done some fishing get-togethers and the days just don't work out.

I will sort through the replies and keep you updated on what is shaping up to be the best place and time. I would like to get the day and location confirmed by the end of February so.... all you need to give me for right now is some info like:
1. Saturday or Sunday in April or May you want to get together, Mothers Day and Memorial Day weekend excluded.
2. Site recommendation

Once we decide on the day and location I will start a new thread so we can discuss other things like food and drinks, who needs a ride, who can bring what etc.

I will hunt anytime/ anywhere I have no preference, I am just as happy on the beach as I am in the mud.

I think it would be nice to get out with a bunch of other Tnet Members for a day of fun.

Glenn
The Staten Island location does not sound like anyone is going to walk with old coins. Yeah, '30s, '40s, '50s and some '60s coins sound good but the won't be any 1800s ones.

If only permission could be granted for such an event in Central Park, half a block from my apartment building! I'd be the first one there at the crack of dawn!

I agree with you on Central Park, I’d be one of the first ones there. But the bottom line is that while the Central Park Conservancy does not seem to mind people who let their dogs run unleashed (When was the last time someone was fined for this at CP?), nor do they mind the smell of crap along the paths that people’s dogs leave because the owners don’t clean up after them, nor do they mind the amount of cruising or homosexual activity that occurs there (Specifically in and around the vicinity of that famous little boathouse restaurant)……….neither do they mind that the famous little restaurant was dumping waste into the lake or that they have a few homeless idiots running around pulling fish out of the lake and keeping them, etc. But god forbid someone leaves a less than perfect cover-up on a plug that will blend in within a rain shower or two. Considering the amount of area Central Park has, MD should not even be an issue there. I guess it’s go dig in the other boroughs but stay out of our Fifth Avenue backyard. Central Park is a public park that is dominated by private money. That is why they closed up the pond at 59th Street to fishing………….because private money decided they wanted to dump a herd of Koi into the lake and the ignorant minds decided that koi like bass would jump at the chance to eat a plastic worm. You couldn’t catch a koi/carp on a plastic worm if your life depended on it. Anyhow, it’s all BS. BTW………….I’ll take some 30,40,50 or 60’s silver any day of the year at Clove Lakes. Hopefully they will all be 30 & 40’s mercs.

Best,
Ricardo

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Re: LET'S DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!! UPDATE 2-27-08

Hey Folks,

I have been trying to get hold of someone in charge at the NYC Parks Dept. to see if we could hold an event like this. Clove Lakes Park is on the list of places allowed but I wanted to be sure.

I finally spoke to someone in the Staten Island permit office and she recommended I fill out an on-line special events permit application.

I filled out the application on-line which, I am sure, anyone who has dealt with the City of New York would agree, this is the way to go.

The permit only allows us to meet up as a group, hang out and have a picnic/BBQ together.

You need to have a separate/ free Metal Detecting permit issued by the NY Parks department which is very easy to obtain. If you have not sent in for it you need to get the ball rolling as it takes up to 30 days to get it.
Here is how you get a free metal detecting permit.

In order to process the request for a free metal detecting permit, please provide the following: A note saying you are requesting a metal detector permit along with a copy of a valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, and address. This information should be mailed to Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, Room 213, New York, NY 10029. Once this information is received, they will process the request and mail the permit directly to you.

I would add a note saying you are requesting a metal detecting permit.

Glenn

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Good work Glenn. As we discussed yesterday over the phone, I had a feeling this would be the case. Do you recall if they mentioned what number of people they would consider a group that would require the permit? It's eight or over if I recall, but I am not sure. I'm with you on this being the best route and way to go. It protects the day. I appreciate your effort and if there's anything I can do, just let me know. Speaking of BBQ's, I think we should all consider using part of the day for such a thing.

Best,
Ricardo

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II

Hey Ricardo it's nice to hear you blowing off some steam at the Central Park issue. Those are just a few of many valid points that can be said about the city and Central park. It would be nice to print it out and mail it to them douche bags. But we both know it would not change anything. Central Park is the crown jewel of parks in NYC, you know that. There's the Museum Mile, the Zoo, the famous Great Lawn, the old reservoir, etc.,etc..
Not to mention it's almost completely surrounded by some of the wealthiest people and real estate in all the world. They sure don't want to see us running around digging holes in their backyard looking for coins. But the dog poop they don't mind so much.
As far as not finding much older coins in Clove Lake. I have a gut feeling it may be true. So far all I've been finding at city parks is a bunch of clad and tons of trash. Now I know you've been finding silver at your park, but that may be one of the few rare spots left in the city to find them. Not saying we won't find any silver, but they may be few and far between.
All this and the possibility of the Parks people breaking our chops is really making me feel a bit discouraged about the whole event. The BBQ sounds good though.
Just my 2 cents...

Harry....

I_Dig_NYC

Jan 25, 2008
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Re: LET'S DO IT TRI-STATE AREA NY/NJ/CT!! UPDATE 2-27-08

TreasurdiggrNY said:
Hey Folks,

I have been trying to get hold of someone in charge at the NYC Parks Dept. to see if we could hold an event like this. Clove Lakes Park is on the list of places allowed but I wanted to be sure.

I finally spoke to someone in the Staten Island permit office and she recommended I fill out an on-line special events permit application.

I filled out the application on-line which, I am sure, anyone who has dealt with the City of New York would agree, this is the way to go.

The permit only allows us to meet up as a group, hang out and have a picnic/BBQ together.

You need to have a separate/ free Metal Detecting permit issued by the NY Parks department which is very easy to obtain. If you have not sent in for it you need to get the ball rolling as it takes up to 30 days to get it.
Here is how you get a free metal detecting permit.

In order to process the request for a free metal detecting permit, please provide the following: A note saying you are requesting a metal detector permit along with a copy of a valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, and address. This information should be mailed to Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, Room 213, New York, NY 10029. Once this information is received, they will process the request and mail the permit directly to you.

I would add a note saying you are requesting a metal detecting permit.

Glenn

About the NYC permit.
You can put all the info on one sheet of paper, it was pretty simple. I photocopied my license, then on the top of the sheet I wrote "Request for metal detecting permit". Below the photo of my license I wrote out my complete name, address and phone number,(even though this info is already on the license).
It did take forever to get it back. I started to think they had lost my application when I realized that 3 or 4 weeks had gone by. Just as I was about to re-submit it, there it was in my mailbox.
Best part is it's free, all you need is a stamp and an envelope. But next year I think I'll pick it up in person..

Harry

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Hey Everyone,

I may not have been clear on the permit I applied for with the NYC Parks Dept., let me recap.

The get-together is definitely on and you are allowed to detect in Clove Lakes Park with a metal detecting permit, so no worries there.

The Parks Dept. says whenever you have 20 or more people together in a park for a picnic or bbq or birthday party etc. you need a special event permit. I applied for the permit just to be on the safe side figuring the day would go something like this.
8am We all meet for a quick coffee and doughnuts at the park and then spread out to do our detecting.
Noon meet at the designated bbq/ picnic area to have lunch together. More detecting after lunch for some and meet up after at 2 or 3pm to go over the day etc.

I just want to make sure it's done right so there are no hassles or disappointments.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Glenn

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used

Sounds good Glenn, thanks for taking the time and effort to arrange this.

Ricardo

Joe G

Dec 3, 2004
Long Island
Detector(s) used
Exp II, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Glenn!

First of all thanks for an awesome idea!

Ricardo_NY1 just PM'd me about this... I never saw the post! I'll check my calendar but I don't there's any reason why I couldn't make that one! A couple of suggestions though:

*Before hunting begins, someone should demonstrate how to properly dig (and replace) a plug. I would also highly recommend everyone use a ground cloth... 10 to 20 something people diggin' a bunch of holes each, some areas could start looking like the moon if everyone's not especially careful. The end of April is an excellent choice though, as the ground should be pretty moist from the April showers :)

*A bunch of people with metal detectors are going to be very visible. Park workers won't be a problem but we will probably catch the attention of the Park Police :) I think splitting up into smaller groups will be necessary for many reasons.

*Everyone must show a valid NYC MD permit before we start digging. The park police will ask to see it. If they find one guy without one, it'll put a black mark on the group as a whole.

*No diggers "larger than small gardening tools" are allowed. NO SHOVELS! No gouging around tree roots, etc... Be careful and sensitive to others that use the park (even though many other people, as Ricardo pointed out, don't give a darn)

*We have the opportunity to show others that MD'rs respect the parks, do no damage, cover holes and remove all trash. It doesn't take much (like the moron in Van Courtland Park) to ruin it for everyone else. There are quite a few parks on the NYC permit (that Ricardo and LI Tom haven't cleaned out) and the permit is free. I'd like it to stay that way :)

OK, the above is basic stuff but I figured I should mention it (no offense to anyone :) )

I'm really excited about getting together and meeting everyone!

Joe G

OP
OP
T

TreasurdiggrNY

Great ideas Joe G., I agree with you 100%. It's best we do it right. Hope you can make it.

Still plenty of time to get your free NYC Detecting permit by doing this:

Send a note saying you are requesting a metal detector permit along with a copy of a valid state ID or driver's license, telephone number, and address. This information should be mailed to Arsenal North, 1234 Fifth Avenue, Room 213, New York, NY 10029. Once this information is received, they will process the request and mail the permit directly to you.

Can't wait to meet everyone,
Glenn

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro

This sounds great I will try to make it I will let you know soon

How many are in so far??

Kenny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread