Let's hear your theories about Silver Halfs being culled ...

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently been giving this topic some thought due to my experience with boxes of halfs from Loomis, with rolls wrapped in a "green gold" colored wrapper. After 8 or 10 boxes of these , and numerous of these rolls purchased at teller counters - with no sign of 40 or 90 percenters , I began to wonder if at certain re-rolling centers the silvers are culled in the wrap and roll process ? I do realize that the number of "green gold" wrapped rolls that I've gone through is not a large number - but it got my attention .Do any of you have ideas about this from your experiences ? I need to mention here , that I did see a guy on youtube opening boxes of this same colored wrap from Loomis and he was finding plenty , so clearly things vary according to area !

Upvote 0

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cannot speak for Loomis in your area, but Loomis in my area is the only courier that delivers boxes of halves that contain silver coins. I'm convinced the other courier in my area, which is a relatively new outfit, has a newer coin counting/wrapping machine that removes silver coins.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't pulled a single silver from a box of Dunbar halves in my area since I started hunting again in 2012.

This is what Dunbar boxes look like in my area:

TF-BrownBoxes.jpg

I don't think Dunbar culls, I think a ton of hunters dump into Dunbar enough to effectively lower the chances of finding any silver.

OP
OP
A

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank's for your replies - please check out my more recent thread ( kinda blew my own theory away !)

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your halves are boxed by Coin Wrap Inc. In their own independent facility, chances are silver is being culled. Independent as in, the courier trucks the coin (bagged) to C.W facility, leaves then comes back later to pick up the finished product (boxed) coins. During my time at C.W here in NYC, I learned that CW culls silver when they run their own facility. As there is no "Customer" overwatch. When C.W operates within a Customer's facility, there are strict guidelines, so culling is not possible. This culling is happening at Company level, not a few numismatic educated employees doing it. Company sponsored culling for a profit, which explains why some areas are dryer than others. Oh and if you say "Oh it's just that my area has lots of hunter etc etc... " let me tell you this, most facilities operate on a "first in first, first out" model on their stock of coins. If you're not getting any silver in your boxes after 20+ chances are they're being culled, because what are the chances of not even ONE silver coin making it to the wrapping facility? Also, you can tell silver is being culled if you're not finding foreign coins that are heavier or lighter than a half dollar but are the same diameter.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your halves are boxed by Coin Wrap Inc. In their own independent facility, chances are silver is being culled. Independent as in, the courier trucks the coin (bagged) to C.W facility, leaves then comes back later to pick up the finished product (boxed) coins. During my time at C.W here in NYC, I learned that CW culls silver when they run their own facility. As there is no "Customer" overwatch. When C.W operates within a Customer's facility, there are strict guidelines, so culling is not possible. This culling is happening at Company level, not a few numismatic educated employees doing it. Company sponsored culling for a profit, which explains why some areas are dryer than others. Oh and if you say "Oh it's just that my area has lots of hunter etc etc... " let me tell you this, most facilities operate on a "first in first, first out" model on their stock of coins. If you're not getting any silver in your boxes after 20+ chances are they're being culled, because what are the chances of not even ONE silver coin making it to the wrapping facility? Also, you can tell silver is being culled if you're not finding foreign coins that are heavier or lighter than a half dollar but are the same diameter.

You seem to have inside knowledge, so I am curious: My guess was always that any silver rejection was occurring at the bank level, ie. coinstar, penny arcade etc. In my mind the bank would want to make sure that it is accepting the correct number of coins and that all of the coins they are accepting are what they are paying for. As in, the bank wants to make sure it isn't paying out cash for foreign coins, silver coins, wooden nickels, etc. In addition, I also always thought the coin counting facility would want the loosest possible tolerances on any counting and wrapping machine since they would take the loss on it. When I think of a coin counter, it isn't merely separating out silver, it is also separating out tokens, slugs, foreign coin etc. And from searching boxes there is a lot more junk (non correct coins) than there is silver. So my question is: how is coin wrap inc. separating out silver coins and making a profit while keeping their books straight and also not throwing out junk that they are responsible for paying their customer for?

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't pulled a single silver from a box of Dunbar halves in my area since I started hunting again in 2012.

This is what Dunbar boxes look like in my area:

View attachment 1415450

I don't think Dunbar culls, I think a ton of hunters dump into Dunbar enough to effectively lower the chances of finding any silver.

This was always how I rationalized it as well. Funny you should mention Dunbar in your area. I used to hunt heavy volume in the same general area and I was dumping 20-40 boxes worth of halves a week exclusively into Dunbar.

I also always thought that Brinks in the area was terrible and I figured that a lot of their volume of coin came through coinstar which rejects silver, so the finds would be diluted, so to speak.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
With all the culling going on- the supply can only get thinner.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You seem to have inside knowledge, so I am curious: My guess was always that any silver rejection was occurring at the bank level, ie. coinstar, penny arcade etc. In my mind the bank would want to make sure that it is accepting the correct number of coins and that all of the coins they are accepting are what they are paying for. As in, the bank wants to make sure it isn't paying out cash for foreign coins, silver coins, wooden nickels, etc. In addition, I also always thought the coin counting facility would want the loosest possible tolerances on any counting and wrapping machine since they would take the loss on it. When I think of a coin counter, it isn't merely separating out silver, it is also separating out tokens, slugs, foreign coin etc. And from searching boxes there is a lot more junk (non correct coins) than there is silver. So my question is: how is coin wrap inc. separating out silver coins and making a profit while keeping their books straight and also not throwing out junk that they are responsible for paying their customer for?

Book? what book? At the Long Island facility Garda gives us 500 x 1000$ quarters, in return, we give them back 999 and 1/2 box of quarters (a box is counted when it has more than 25 rolls, if it has less its just +20 rolls etc on the sheet), on the side are loose coins of nickels, pennies, dimes or foreign coins, in one-gallon buckets. Banks get credit for $500,000, whatever that is extra (us coins) goes to the armored car company's account. Let me tell you Garda is making a nice little change on the side with those TD Bank bags. Im sure you heard of last year's news about TD bank short-changing their customers, right?
If a Coin Wrap facility operated within its own building, not like the one where i worked at. It would be super easy to keep a supply of halves on the side to swap out silver halves, on behalf of Coin Wrap. Whatever junk that is now rolled/wrapped gets returned to the armored company when they come to pick up their boxed coins.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't done much of coin roll hunting, but i do know for a fact that coinstar machines reject silver coins ( and some new quarters. ??)
The machine also keeps large ike dollars coins in an internal bucket, not giving you credit for them.
Now days, anything is possible.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread