Lets See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's See The 1500 and 1600s Coins Dug In The US

After seeing the post by button king of his 16th century Lizzie it really got me wondering. How many hunters in the states and Canada have found a 1500s coin? I have a good friend here in Maine that found a cut 16th century silver and he's found a Jeton as well(I know a Jeton isn't a coin.) so I wanted to see some of these. I figured I'd add in the 17th century coins cause I think it'd be a pretty small list if not....and I love seeing these early ones. So bring em on guys and gals. You've seen mine so I won't bore you with those again. Since they still haven't really gone away lol.
I wish I could change the title to include my Canadian brothers. Of course I want to see yours and apologize for the title

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet that a majority of the 17th century copper being dug in North America is badly corroded and dateless. Thankfully the silver remains.
Now I just need to get my coil over some........

VPR

Yup I agree with you my friend. I've seen a couple William & Mary's out there but damn few. Ok I'm posting mine. I said I wasn't going to but dammit I love these suckers
1652 PINE TREE SHILLING NOE 29
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421803564.388195.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421803605.924640.jpg
1664 Potosi Mint One Real Cob
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421803626.859724.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421803647.561091.jpg

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it does make sense most 1600s coins would be worn because most are not coming off 1600s sites, they circulated a long time and were lost at late sites. As for corrosion it wouldn't be much different than something like a George copper because they've been in the ground about the same time... and with less counterfeits early on you actually can make a case a real early copper may actually be less corroded. My two decent 1600s Liards were found at old sites and probably dropped in the 1720s, or 30s, but if they would have turned up at my typical type sites I very much doubt you'd be able to see anything on them. Even though I have found some 1600s coins, and technically a couple 1500s too (1500s restruck in 1600s) I have never hunted a 1600s site, and there's good reason for that as I don't believe they exist here. But for those who can, which is not many, that is definitely where the good old coppers will show, at least the ones with the most detail. It's a catch 22.... and the main reason old coppers aren't great because they either go in the ground nice and deteriorate for over 300 years, or they circulate a lot and are lost when worn. So with all that said, I guess a nice looking 1600s copper is a pretty good find!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it does make sense most 1600s coins would be worn because most are not coming off 1600s sites, they circulated a long time and were lost at late sites. As for corrosion it wouldn't be much different than something like a George copper because they've been in the ground about the same time... and with less counterfeits early on you actually can make a case a real early copper may actually be less corroded. My two decent 1600s Liards were found at old sites and probably dropped in the 1720s, or 30s, but if they would have turned up at my typical type sites I very much doubt you'd be able to see anything on them. Even though I have found some 1600s coins, and technically a couple 1500s too (1500s restruck in 1600s) I have never hunted a 1600s site, and there's good reason for that as I don't believe they exist here. But for those who can, which is not many, that is definitely where the good old coppers will show, at least the ones with the most detail. It's a catch 22.... and the main reason old coppers aren't great because they either go in the ground nice and deteriorate for over 300 years, or they circulate a lot and are lost when worn. So with all that said, I guess a nice looking 1600s copper is a pretty good find!

I have been pretty shocked to learn how much 1600s settlement there was in my area. They referred to most of them as plantations and most were short lived, but a few lasted a long time. The place I found the PTS at was there for 50 years and there was a large number of homesteads there. I just have to really sink my teeth into that place this spring and zone in on the hotspots such as the wharf, the fort, and the blacksmith shop. There was also an orchard and a huge common garden area. I'm sure there's some killer early stuff there. Just gotta find that spot. The problem with these 1600s sites is that the descriptions of the locations are extremely vague. So zoning in on them is difficult to say the least. But it's a fun little challenge

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been pretty shocked to learn how much 1600s settlement there was in my area. They referred to most of them as plantations and most were short lived, but a few lasted a long time. The place I found the PTS at was there for 50 years and there was a large number of homesteads there. I just have to really sink my teeth into that place this spring and zone in on the hotspots such as the wharf, the fort, and the blacksmith shop. There was also an orchard and a huge common garden area. I'm sure there's some killer early stuff there. Just gotta find that spot. The problem with these 1600s sites is that the descriptions of the locations are extremely vague. So zoning in on them is difficult to say the least. But it's a fun little challenge

Yep, and like I said before I think those coins were random, but not so random that there isn't a site very close.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a very small island not far from me that had a French fishing settlement in 1614. Then about 30 families in 1676 when the natives attacked. It also had some sporadic settlement in between. The reason the seemed shelter there was because it has very steep ledge walls up the sides and a surprise attack would be impossible. But this also makes it very hard to take a boat to because there's really nowhere to tie off. I've been working for a guy that owns a wharf and has about 30 lobster boats that fish for him. I've got it worked out for spring that I can be dropped off there for the day to hunt. It's not very big and if there is anything there it'll be hard to miss. It's the kind of place that if you get a good signal chances are it's a nice early find. We shall see....in a few months :-(

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe tough to find but so damn worth it if you do!

Couldn't agree more. And I don't mind looking. It also gives hope that you may find an nice early item anywhere around those spots

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't agree more. And I don't mind looking. It also gives hope that you may find an nice early item anywhere around those spots

Back then they didn't really have money!!
They use to trade for everything. .
So ur chances are slim, to find any coins...lol.
George

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George

For those who are wondering what the hell George is talking about.....those were his exact words to me the night before I found the cob and tree coin lmao! I will never forget those famous words. Too damn funny bro

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
George

So did they trade camera skills for bad advice? :)

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe paid me $8.88 to do it.

Ey I was thinking last night. I'm 38 and it's 2015! 2+0+1+5= 8 I am gonna KILL IT this year. No coin or relic is safe I tell ya

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will probably never be able to join this thread with pictures of my 15th and 16th century finds. That's gonna be a long shot here in Ohio. Hell, I'm still doing the happy dance, since joining the 1700s club with a worn out used up 1/2 reale. I will have to live my detecting dreams vicariously through my T-net buddies' Great Finds!!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will probably never be able to join this thread with pictures of my 15th and 16th century finds. That's gonna be a long shot here in Ohio. Hell, I'm still doing the happy dance, since joining the 1700s club with a worn out used up 1/2 reale. I will have to live my detecting dreams vicariously through my T-net buddies' Great Finds!!

You just never know my friend! What's the earliest settlement in your local area? I've learned that in this hobby crazy things can happen. Hell you might find Roman coins that were part of a collection. The beauty of coins is that their are very valuable coins from every century and basically every decade. And I hope one day you do find one of those super early coins. And hey 1700s Spanish silver is killer bro! You're doing great

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been fortunate to recover a few 1500s silver coins (all Lizzie sixpences), with the oldest being 1563. I've also dug 2 jettons from the 1580s plus a 1590s Dutch coin weight. And all these came from southeast Virginia. These may not seem like much to those hunting in the UK, but I know of very few who have found early coins like these here in the US. And I have no idea of my 1600s coin count, but I have quite a few including some of my cobs shown below, along with a dozen other hammered sixpences and shillings. And the last pic shows 149 colonial silvers I'd dug as of a couple years ago, and that count is now up to 175. If you zoom in you can see that a number of them are from the 1600s. And as most know, I lucked out back in Oct with digging an ultra-rare 1659 Lord Baltimore sixpence, also from Virginia, which is shown separately.

I'd also like to add that my digging buddy Dan recovered a 3rd or 4th century Roman coin in the water here in southeast Va. It appears it came from dumped ballast that likely was loaded onto a ship along the Thames before its departure for the New World. That's by far the oldest coin I've heard of being dug in this area.

BTW - I have a friend living in the southern US that has found many gold and silver coins, as well as other extremely rare Spanish artifacts including armor and pottery dating to as far back as the late 1300s. His collection is far better than just about any museum, and provides solid proof of Spanish occupation in this country more than 100 years before Columbus. Makes my stuff looks rinky-dink.

1500s2.JPG

cobs.JPG

lord baltimore in slab.jpg

149 colonial silver coins2.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been fortunate to recover a few 1500s silver coins (all Lizzie sixpences), with the oldest being 1563. I've also dug 2 jettons from the 1580s plus a 1590s Dutch coin weight. And all these came from southeast Virginia. These may not seem like much to those hunting in the UK, but I know of very few who have found early coins like these here in the US. And I have no idea of my 1600s coin count, but I have quite a few including some of my cobs shown below, along with a dozen other hammered sixpences and shillings. And the last pic shows 149 colonial silvers I'd dug as of a couple years ago, and that count is now up to 175. If you zoom in you can see that a number of them are from the 1600s. And as most know, I lucked out back in Oct with digging an ultra-rare 1659 Lord Baltimore sixpence, also from Virginia, which is shown separately.

I'd also like to add that my digging buddy Dan recovered a 3rd or 4th century Roman coin in the water here in southeast Va. It appears it came from dumped ballast that likely was loaded onto a ship along the Thames before its departure for the New World. That's by far the oldest coin I've heard of being dug in this area.

BTW - I have a friend living in the southern US that has found many gold and silver coins, as well as other extremely rare Spanish artifacts including armor and pottery dating to as far back as the late 1300s. His collection is far better than just about any museum, and provides solid proof of Spanish occupation in this country more than 100 years before Columbus. Makes my stuff looks rinky-dink.

View attachment 1110076

View attachment 1110077

View attachment 1110078

View attachment 1110079

Thanks Bill! Always enjoy seeing the early ones from your collection. I can't believe somebody has a collection that eclipses yours. Now that is something I'd like to see.
We had several little temporary fishing settlements around here dating to the 16th century. There's also an interesting graveyard locally that was supposedly here when the Popham party showed up in 1607 and it's not in any of the native styles. Very interesting indeed. I think we all know there was a lot of very early visitors. Thanks again buddy

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I still think that your silver display makes for one hell of a screen saver, heck TNet should change it up from the gold and put something like this up as a background, more realistic to some.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I still think that your silver display makes for one hell of a screen saver, heck TNet should change it up from the gold and put something like this up as a background, more realistic to some.

I really appreciate your comments - thanks. I'd love to take an updated pic with the additional 26 coins, but its a lot of trouble. Many of the coins are currently displayed in groupings by site, and its quite difficult keeping them straight so they can be returned to their original location. Maybe this summer when I'm bored.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread