What's new

Lets see triangles

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
These are all from maryland. Here we call em susquehannock triangles and levannas. Various materials. Jasper chert an quartz. Also rhyolite. Lets see how they compare to other regions.
 

Attachments

  • image-1121114517.webp
    image-1121114517.webp
    89.3 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1142949148.webp
    image-1142949148.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
Great thread! I love these little guys and I am fortunate to have some good Mississippian sites to hunt. The first three are ones I found a couple of weeks ago. The others are one of my frames. Oh, we call them Madisons here.
 
Last edited:
Found this one a few weeks ago here in Mass.

IMG_2777.webp
 
Most if ours are quartz and mine have been packed in anticipation of moving. That's most of my flint ones but have an entire case of quartz ones. Ill show it when I can.
 
Is there any difference between Madison and levannas
 
Two of my favorites..like ying and yang



ForumRunner_20121219_133046.webp



ForumRunner_20121219_133055.webp
 
I think they are contemporary points just made by different cultures in different areas. The one Gatorboy posted a few days ago is another example of this. They are, I believe, called Pinellas in Florida as he pointed out. They are called Maud and Talco in Caddo cultures.
 
Is there any difference between Madison and levannas

MAdison has a straighter base and straight sides. The perfect triangle. The Levanna has a concave base and constricted blade edges. Good thread i'll have to post some of mine..............002 (800x600).webp001 (1024x768).webp Sorry to lazy to separate them........haha!!! So you get them all!!!
 
In New England, the Madison is the latest point style, in use at the introduction of guns.
 
Last edited:
Two beach finds from Rhode Island, both Levannas. One on left is made of hornfels, a common volcanic in New England. Some nice triangles in this thread!

Rhode Island Triangles 009.webp
 
GtP, although Madisons generally do have straight bases and sides, they come in all figurations. Just guessing I would say 20% have concave or convex sides and bases. Great triangles all......let's see more!
 
GtP, although Madisons generally do have straight bases and sides, they come in all figurations. Just guessing I would say 20% have concave or convex sides and bases. Great triangles all......let's see more!

Sure! Here's a tiny quartzite Madison, with concave base, from RI.

Unusual Finds 010.webp
 
Great points everybody. Nice framess
 
Lots of nice examples here! The very first one I ever found is still my best. I will try to find it and post a pic.
Nick
 
Here are a few south eastern variety's . Hamiltons,Guntersville and such. Sorry some quartz and odd ball stuff on that shelf in there. All personal finds though.

100_4082.webp

100_4083.webp
 
Here's some little guys from RI. Triangles are tough, I tend to look at most of my tiny ones as Madisons, unless they're eared, and some might be small Levannas instead.

008.webp

Now, this frame is from one Seneca Iroquois site in Lima Co., NY, which dates to the 1680's. Known as the Dann site. Except for the one side-notched, all the points are Madisons made of Onodaga Chert. Couple of brass or copper triangles, one of which is perforated, in there as well. Interesting assemblage as you can see the last of the flaked points, trade points, and a gunflint indicating the presence of guns in the village.

009.webp

Levannas:
New York State Museum - Projectile Point Type Collection

And Madisons:
http://collections.nysm.nysed.gov/projectilepoints/types/madison-plate.html
 
These are from the Carson River in Nevada. They are quite small, and are part of a riker case of my Nevada finds, which I'll post in a different thread. points10E.webp
 
IlliniGuy and Charl I see what you are saying. I have always associated the str8 base with Madison..... convex with Levanna.....Makes you wonder. I looked at some examples in the NYSM page and i would have typed some of those as Levanna instead of Madison...................GTP
 
Those are all really nice pieces everone is showing,Here are a couple from florida, one insitu, found walking lake shore, black pieces shown in the insitu are pottery washing out also!
The other backlit one is from suwannee river.These are called pinellas points here in florida, what we would call a true arrowhead.
 

Attachments

  • Insitu pinellas 011.webp
    Insitu pinellas 011.webp
    31.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Insitu pinellas 021.webp
    Insitu pinellas 021.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 145
  • pinellas 2 005.webp
    pinellas 2 005.webp
    205.4 KB · Views: 142
One more of the one from suwannee, you would think in the current that is in that river this tip should not have survived but wow what a crazy tip!
 

Attachments

  • pinellas 2 001.webp
    pinellas 2 001.webp
    36.4 KB · Views: 112

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom