What's new

Lets see triangles

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,492
Reaction score
895
Golden Thread
0
Location
md
These are all from maryland. Here we call em susquehannock triangles and levannas. Various materials. Jasper chert an quartz. Also rhyolite. Lets see how they compare to other regions.
 

Attachments

  • image-1121114517.webp
    image-1121114517.webp
    89.3 KB · Views: 170
  • image-1142949148.webp
    image-1142949148.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 130
Upvote 0
I believe the difference in Madisons and Levannas is that the Madison is more associated with the Ft Ancient/Mississippian cultures and the Levanna is a Middle Woodland/Hopewell type.

Here's some of my Triangle Points. These are all personal finds except for the tray in pic #6 which are all from one site in Kentucky and the very last tray and they are all from Mongolia. It's amazing how similar they are to our Madisons.


Reap that is one nice display in that last frame. Those Blade leaflets look like split rib knives from the Plains..Your statement on difference I am pretty sure is not right. My problem with it is the fact that both blade types can be found on sites throughout the northeast. I have personally found both types in one field. There is a difference between Ft.Ancient arrowheads vs. Levanna and Madison. It would truly be exceptionally hard to determine the origin of the Madison and the origin of the Levanna. To associate them with two different cultures would not be correct when they can be found in both cultures area of occupation. I have noticed and even though in most books that the Levanna is a Northeastern point type that they can be found beyond the Mississippi. The only difference is the name they have been given but design is almost the same. Even on your Mongolian points. This knowledge was shared and cannot be associated with different periods as they were both of the same period and both used by multiple cultures in this country and possibly around the world...........................GTP
 
Last edited:
TN....the smallest triangle i ever found was about 3/8" I could not believe it when i found it. I thought it was a flake, picked it up and thought nothing of it until i started to look closer and noticed it was worked on the edge all the way around it. I was amazed at how small it was.......Alas that was in the collection that was stolen so i cannot show it.........
 
Darn, Larson and grimreaper you guys break out the squadrons of triangles, love the similarities of this type from all across this nation, "Reaper them's got some teeth on em" Great displays!

thank you
i like reap's serrated triangles very ferocious looking

i am gonna post this frame i have
it is from my photo library and in my basement

almost all KRF but for a few agate

IMG_1345.webp
 
GTP, I was always under the assumption that the Levanna was a late Middle Woodland Point used towards the end of the Hopewell era and was the transition into the Ft Ancient cultures use of the Triangle as their predominate Point type. I guess that's what I get for assuming. lol

Levanna - LITHICS-Net

Madison - LITHICS-Net
 
Good thread here bsit1361 ,..
Here are some of mine from So. Cali . Typed as Costal Cottonwood's . Not to be confused with the "common" cottonwood , as I believe both types are discribed as having concaved to straight base ,./ concave to convex sides ,.:icon_scratch: ?
Anyway ,. heres the long & short of the Costal Cottonwood ,. Don't believe I've ever seen one longer then 1 3/4 in. the shortest about 3/8 in. It is the one on the dime in the center .I'd say on avarage 3/4 in. is the norm . The big white quartz one on the left ,. I assume is a blade ,. and on the far right , the narrow white quartz ,. a drill,. as is the lit' clear one above it ,.. that is ,. a Costal Cottonwood drill
Now , here's a wee Cali Factoid about triangle points
Ishi ,.. the last stone age man in America ,.. A.K.A the "Last Wild Indian" . While living in the Anthroplogy Dept. at the University of California Berkeley [1911- 1916 ??]. Ishi was shown a collection of triangle points [maybe Costal Cottonwood's ?] being a polite man ,..said they were nice ,...but they where unfinished , but if they wished ,.. he could notch 'em and finish 'em up for them ,.. Good guy ,. Not often you find a stone age man willing to "clean-up " your collection for ya ..:thumbsup: ,.. Believe they declined ??
True,.. best as memery serves anyway?? Blindpig
 

Attachments

  • DSC02670.jpgrs.webp
    DSC02670.jpgrs.webp
    56 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I see all of these beautiful triangles and one thing strikes me........Shared technology.........I mean we can take different named points here and i can almost guarantee that they will probably be almost identical in manufacture. I see points from Cali that look like points here in PA and NJ. I see points from Florida, Tennessee, and Alabama that are the same as in Cali as well. I see points from Missouri that are identical to points in PA, NJ and NY........This was shared technology and this thread is direct proof of that!!!............................AWESOME!!!!................................GTP
 
My First & Best So Far

As I mentioned earlier, the very first quartz point I ever found is still my best. Attached is the picture that I promised to post. I dug this about 35 years ago, in southwestern CT, while leveling a spot to install our family’s above ground pool. It has been identified as a possible Brewerton Eared Triangle from the Late Archaic period.
Nick
 

Attachments

  • 101_5716.webp
    101_5716.webp
    266.1 KB · Views: 100
As I mentioned earlier, the very first quartz point I ever found is still my best. Attached is the picture that I promised to post. I dug this about 35 years ago, in southwestern CT, while leveling a spot to install our family’s above ground pool. It has been identified as a possible Brewerton Eared Triangle from the Late Archaic period.
Nick


It sure is a Brewerton and a nice one with that slight knick to the one ear.........still a gem....I have a couple just like it....004 (800x600).webp
 
I've had this one called a brewerton eared. Rhyolite.
 

Attachments

  • image-3056445373.webp
    image-3056445373.webp
    53.2 KB · Views: 88
Some of my better ones...............
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 96

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom