letter from 1864

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Found this in some old family stuff a few weeks back. It was pretty interesting reading. A letter from a son to his mother shortly before a fairly large battle was about to take place. Asking her not to worry. Hoping for an end to a cruel war.
Interesting him saying the fall of Atlanta, was to him, just an unsubstantiated rumor. It had actually fallen a few weeks prior. I guess those in charge would not have wanted their troops to know, as it probably would have had an adverse affect on their morale. Then too, news did not travel as it does today.

CWcorrespOates.jpg

BW

Upvote 0

Bill Battle

Greenie
Oct 14, 2009
bravowhiskey said:
Found this in some old family stuff a few weeks back. It was pretty interesting reading. A letter from a son to his mother shortly before a fairly large battle was about to take place. Asking her not to worry. Hoping for an end to a cruel war.
Interesting him saying the fall of Atlanta, was to him, just an unsubstantiated rumor. It had actually fallen a few weeks prior. I guess those in charge would not have wanted their troops to know, as it probably would have had an adverse affect on their morale. Then too, news did not travel as it does today.

CWcorrespOates.jpg

BW

Very interesting. Did the soldier sign his first name? I was a little surprised how many men named "Oats" served from the state of Arkansas, although he could have been from another state.

OP
OP
bravowhiskey

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey Bill Battle,

Welcome to TN, glad to have you aboard.
I have tried to make it out. It looks like Ino R. Oats. Have info from his kin that later show the Oats to be spelled Oates. They may have been from the Texas area.

BW

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow. And that, Was a tough place to be in Atlanta. Sherman, eventualy seized the city and burned "some" of buildings. It was thought that Sherman's men destroyed the whole city which was a myth.

Great CW artifact.

HHHH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread