leslie(nova scotia)
Silver Member
- Joined
- Sep 22, 2006
- Messages
- 2,768
- Reaction score
- 4,351
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- lower sackville,nova scotia
- Detector(s) used
- Garretts only
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Punta Cana Clamity
The no frills flight on Air transit went off without a hitch. Found it to be a long flight with no real on board service especially since Marie and I do not own a cell phone. Thanks goodness I had the insight to bring a Patterson novel. Marie who was seated Lord knows where on the plane never came back to me to comment on this Upon landing and deplaning the aircraft we were hit by a most welcomed blast of dry hot air. A most welcomed heat especially when one is full of arthritis! The bus ride to the resort through the poverty of the land was relaxing. Lord love a duck that it was till we got near Punta Cana "city" when the drivers seemed hell bent on trying to create an accident. Lord love a duck that was enough to insure this Bluenoser did not rent a vehicle and explore the area.
Bahi Explorer was our final destination in Punta Cana. Mister man the front lobby of this resort was like a disturbed ant hill raided by an aardvark with people going to and fro with no room to move around the check in desk. Ecstatically however the place was awesome with murals on the walls by what I believe is local artisans! Once to the agent behind the desk we were informed that check in was two hours away. Not to worry Marie and I made the best of this as we now had on our yellow wristbands.
We immediately made use of them heading for the pigfest at the buffet. After all we were quite hungry after our no service flight. This bouy chowed down on shrimp, salad and ...not sure what the orange stuff was but it tasted great. Marie hit the hot food areas seeming to be pleased by what was on her plate. Been to the Dominican Republic about 18 times and learned something new while in the buffet area. If you come across what appears to be vacant table make sure that the knife and fork are not crossed. Apparently this is a signal that one has this table. New to this bouy. Finally it was 1400hrs and we were escorted to out room...76202.
Room featured a huge king size bed...at the travel agency we had booked a pair of twine. Both Hunny Bunny and I snore like a blue whale coming to the surface and blowing. Of course we had a great view outside our veranda. .....a construction site with the soothing sound of bulldozers and jackhammers. Did not stop Marie and I from sawing a few cords of wood. Had constant trouble with getting the television to work as well as a constant drip from the shower, sockets for the lights and air conditioner hanging from the ceiling. Oh joy! At least the bed was made and the place looked clean.
Finally settled in the room we unpacked with Zen Guru loaded fur bear. Marie took the civilized approach and dawned her bathing suit. Holy halibut she still looks great after all these years! Once on the beach suffering from jet lag I began to swing while being watched by a multitude of curious onlookers. This led to many conversations of which all were pleasant although a few I did not have a clue in this universe what the halibut they were saying. Doused in bug spray and sun tan lotion I continued left on the beach nabbing coins from...here there and everywhere. Noticed what looked like two locals swishing in the water. Thinking next day I will take out Aqua Guru for a cruise. Did well scoffing a few coins and a few pieces of "Dominican silver."
Next day I headed to the beach area via golf cart which is known there as the train. Right on time every ten minutes as was the time to get to the beach. Did not realize when I signed up how big this resort was! Leaving the golf cart I did a face plant on the pavement. Totally sober, no hangover down I went. Luckily Aqua Guru was not damaged or so I thought. Driver of the cart was immediately on me but I refused any help and limped to the ocean only to be greeted by seaweed and high waves as well as two locals out swishing. Firetruck! My headphones cut in and out with every wave. So much for swishing. Took the train back to my room exchanging Aqua for Zen (AT Pro) which proved to be a good move as I dug a few more delights and coins. Seems that a previous digger had taken the junk targets out and thrown them around the trunk of the palm trees. Still found a few coins around them after removing about 20 bottle tops, pull tabs and junk which were promptly deposited in the trash cans.

Got the thumbs up for this from the lounging vacationers. Have to add that I threw out my shaft for my sieve which with the weight of the bucket amounted to about 20 pounds. So you ask. What did you use to dig with? Previously after the water disaster I found a broken broom handle with a sharp edge. Light, efficient and did the job. On the other side got a few looks from the security from the resorts. By the way anyone going there by the sign saying "Welcome to Punta Cana" a lost gold ring with a rose design and diamond center was lost there between the sign and life guard tower. Had been approached by a member of a wedding party about this. It was only after an hour of gridding the sand off that the boyfriend approached me and stated that it was more than likely it was lost in the water. What a waste of an hour and a half. Did find a few coins however. Was rather cheeky on the beach as most of the ladies wore a bathing suit comprised of a bandage and dental floss. After a few dozen ganders I focused on my coil! Eye strain is a beatch!
Night life! Does not exist at this resort. Marie and I waited for the 21oohrs show that started at 2200hrs and let me tell you me son was not worth the wait.....home we headed! Once in our temporary abode we discovered that we had been lunch for a multitude of local bugs. Red weeping pustules dotted our legs and mid section. Firetruck they itched big time. Obviously the bug spray "Deep Woods Off" did not live up to it's name. Being an experienced traveller I knew the cure for the itch...rubbing vinegar or lime over the bites relieves the itching for a tad. Biting me must have been a death sentence for the ones that bit me. Died of an overdose of prescription meds. Take that! See now why all the beach vendors wear long pants. By the way most of what they sell as silver will turn your fingers green in a few days. Everyone has to make a living me son!
Dug and dug again. Pleased with the results. Glad to leave at the end of the week. Did not know Marie and I were taking home a good case of dihedra!

On the way home I was thinking about the early days of aviation and this came to mind from a brominate NewFoundlander.
A Newfie was on board a 4 engine turbo prop heading home after a visit to the UK when the pilot announced over the intercom that number 4 engine had died. He stated that number 4 engine had conked out and they would be delayed 20 minutes from arriving
a t Gander. Ten minutes later the pilot got on the intercom saying that number 1 engine conked out and they would be delayed 40 minutes. At this the Newfie began to laugh uncontrollably to which the air line stewardess asked what was so funny. In his drunken stubber the Newfie replied "Well me gurl iffen the number three engine goes out we will be up here all day!"

The no frills flight on Air transit went off without a hitch. Found it to be a long flight with no real on board service especially since Marie and I do not own a cell phone. Thanks goodness I had the insight to bring a Patterson novel. Marie who was seated Lord knows where on the plane never came back to me to comment on this Upon landing and deplaning the aircraft we were hit by a most welcomed blast of dry hot air. A most welcomed heat especially when one is full of arthritis! The bus ride to the resort through the poverty of the land was relaxing. Lord love a duck that it was till we got near Punta Cana "city" when the drivers seemed hell bent on trying to create an accident. Lord love a duck that was enough to insure this Bluenoser did not rent a vehicle and explore the area.
Bahi Explorer was our final destination in Punta Cana. Mister man the front lobby of this resort was like a disturbed ant hill raided by an aardvark with people going to and fro with no room to move around the check in desk. Ecstatically however the place was awesome with murals on the walls by what I believe is local artisans! Once to the agent behind the desk we were informed that check in was two hours away. Not to worry Marie and I made the best of this as we now had on our yellow wristbands.
We immediately made use of them heading for the pigfest at the buffet. After all we were quite hungry after our no service flight. This bouy chowed down on shrimp, salad and ...not sure what the orange stuff was but it tasted great. Marie hit the hot food areas seeming to be pleased by what was on her plate. Been to the Dominican Republic about 18 times and learned something new while in the buffet area. If you come across what appears to be vacant table make sure that the knife and fork are not crossed. Apparently this is a signal that one has this table. New to this bouy. Finally it was 1400hrs and we were escorted to out room...76202.
Room featured a huge king size bed...at the travel agency we had booked a pair of twine. Both Hunny Bunny and I snore like a blue whale coming to the surface and blowing. Of course we had a great view outside our veranda. .....a construction site with the soothing sound of bulldozers and jackhammers. Did not stop Marie and I from sawing a few cords of wood. Had constant trouble with getting the television to work as well as a constant drip from the shower, sockets for the lights and air conditioner hanging from the ceiling. Oh joy! At least the bed was made and the place looked clean.
Finally settled in the room we unpacked with Zen Guru loaded fur bear. Marie took the civilized approach and dawned her bathing suit. Holy halibut she still looks great after all these years! Once on the beach suffering from jet lag I began to swing while being watched by a multitude of curious onlookers. This led to many conversations of which all were pleasant although a few I did not have a clue in this universe what the halibut they were saying. Doused in bug spray and sun tan lotion I continued left on the beach nabbing coins from...here there and everywhere. Noticed what looked like two locals swishing in the water. Thinking next day I will take out Aqua Guru for a cruise. Did well scoffing a few coins and a few pieces of "Dominican silver."
Next day I headed to the beach area via golf cart which is known there as the train. Right on time every ten minutes as was the time to get to the beach. Did not realize when I signed up how big this resort was! Leaving the golf cart I did a face plant on the pavement. Totally sober, no hangover down I went. Luckily Aqua Guru was not damaged or so I thought. Driver of the cart was immediately on me but I refused any help and limped to the ocean only to be greeted by seaweed and high waves as well as two locals out swishing. Firetruck! My headphones cut in and out with every wave. So much for swishing. Took the train back to my room exchanging Aqua for Zen (AT Pro) which proved to be a good move as I dug a few more delights and coins. Seems that a previous digger had taken the junk targets out and thrown them around the trunk of the palm trees. Still found a few coins around them after removing about 20 bottle tops, pull tabs and junk which were promptly deposited in the trash cans.

Got the thumbs up for this from the lounging vacationers. Have to add that I threw out my shaft for my sieve which with the weight of the bucket amounted to about 20 pounds. So you ask. What did you use to dig with? Previously after the water disaster I found a broken broom handle with a sharp edge. Light, efficient and did the job. On the other side got a few looks from the security from the resorts. By the way anyone going there by the sign saying "Welcome to Punta Cana" a lost gold ring with a rose design and diamond center was lost there between the sign and life guard tower. Had been approached by a member of a wedding party about this. It was only after an hour of gridding the sand off that the boyfriend approached me and stated that it was more than likely it was lost in the water. What a waste of an hour and a half. Did find a few coins however. Was rather cheeky on the beach as most of the ladies wore a bathing suit comprised of a bandage and dental floss. After a few dozen ganders I focused on my coil! Eye strain is a beatch!
Night life! Does not exist at this resort. Marie and I waited for the 21oohrs show that started at 2200hrs and let me tell you me son was not worth the wait.....home we headed! Once in our temporary abode we discovered that we had been lunch for a multitude of local bugs. Red weeping pustules dotted our legs and mid section. Firetruck they itched big time. Obviously the bug spray "Deep Woods Off" did not live up to it's name. Being an experienced traveller I knew the cure for the itch...rubbing vinegar or lime over the bites relieves the itching for a tad. Biting me must have been a death sentence for the ones that bit me. Died of an overdose of prescription meds. Take that! See now why all the beach vendors wear long pants. By the way most of what they sell as silver will turn your fingers green in a few days. Everyone has to make a living me son!
Dug and dug again. Pleased with the results. Glad to leave at the end of the week. Did not know Marie and I were taking home a good case of dihedra!

On the way home I was thinking about the early days of aviation and this came to mind from a brominate NewFoundlander.
A Newfie was on board a 4 engine turbo prop heading home after a visit to the UK when the pilot announced over the intercom that number 4 engine had died. He stated that number 4 engine had conked out and they would be delayed 20 minutes from arriving
a t Gander. Ten minutes later the pilot got on the intercom saying that number 1 engine conked out and they would be delayed 40 minutes. At this the Newfie began to laugh uncontrollably to which the air line stewardess asked what was so funny. In his drunken stubber the Newfie replied "Well me gurl iffen the number three engine goes out we will be up here all day!"

Upvote
10







