trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Visited Captain Lewess barge. He shewed us his air gun which fired 22 times at one charge. He shewed us the mode of charging her and then loaded with 12 balls which he intended to fire one at a time; but she by some means lost the whole charge of air at the first fire. He charged her again and then she fired twice. He then found the cause and in some measure prevented the airs escaping, and then she fired seven times; but when in perfect order she fires 22 times in a minute. All the balls are put at once into a short side barrel and are then droped into the chamber of the gun one at a time by moving a spring; and when the triger is pulled just so much air escapes out of the air bag which forms the britch of the gun as serves for one ball. It is a curious peice of workmanship not easily discribed and therefore I omit attempting it.”

http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

I never knew until now, the like ever existed then; 200 plus years ago. Air rifles.
Found this very informative and well devised but lengthy reading site, some interesting examples pictured, for those interested in the subject.
I haven't read it completely myself yet :icon_pirat: but I will.
Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread