What's new

Liberty Head Large Cent - My Oldest Find This Year!

ScaredOfClowns

Full Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2012
Messages
158
Reaction score
639
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett ProPointer, Garrett ProPointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both Sides.webpIn the Hole - Small.webpSample Image.webp

I tried a new site this morning and got lucky - I found a Liberty Head large cent!

The photos are a little dark, but when I look at it in the right light I can clearly see Liberty's head and crown on the obverse, and "One Cent" on the reverse. To me the profile looks like the "younger" version of Liberty, which would date this coin sometime between 1835-1857. Unfortunately, it's too worn for me to be able to make out the exact date (the usual story with old coppers I've found - I guess the soil in my area is too acidic for good preservation), but it's the oldest coin I've found this year, so no complaints.

I'm hoping this place has more keepers waiting to be found - I'll definitely be back.

Thanks for looking - HH!
 
Upvote 10
Congrats on that LC. :occasion14: It's always nice to see one of those in the hole..
 
Love digging up those old coppers! Great save
 
Congratulations on the old copper recovery! A large cent in any condition is a great find.
 
good job on the large cent, nothing like flipping the plug and seeing that green disc in the dirt!
 
PLEASE EXCUSE ME FROM SAYING THIS BUT I CANT HOLD BACK YOU ARE SCARED OF CLOWNS ,THANK GOD THAT ONE CENT DOSENT HAVE OBAMMMMA ON IT. NICE OLE ONE CENT. IF ANYONE WANTS ME TO ERASE THIS REPLY PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL DO IT AT ONCE.
 
Looks like old-head matron head, late 1830's. Nice old US copper ;)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom