Librairy Fail

TN_INDIAN

Jul 4, 2012
WEST TN
Detector(s) used
F2,pinpointer that came with it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_scratch: So i took yalls advice and went to the librairy yesterday and got a lirairy card and was so excited. Well after getting the card i asked cld i b pointed to the local history of my town and she said rite this way but only thing is these books can not b checked out!!! Dangit!! But anyhow they had a special room of about 10'by 10' room that was filled with the stuff that i was looking for but did not have time to stay there and just read 100s of Awesome books that wld b very helpful on my metal detecting. On other hand i did see a special printer n this room to print pages but dang wut a bummer. Any other tips on finding this useful info any other way? I tryed internet searches and not a lot there. Thanks again guys.

BeachComber7

May 12, 2012
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN,
Between the library and the town's historical society, those are your best options. Small museums might help as well and if you can converse with some old timers from the area, they usually have tons of information.
When i was reading all those kinds of books that can't be checked out, I used their copy machine which was still just a dime to my surprise, plus brought my digital camera and photographed the page(s) -whether it be a map or specific paragraphs with info. Was too much to write it all down. Try local museums too, they have some interesting things from the past in your specific area and the small ones run by volunteers are usually free.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same thing applies to 90% of all Libraries.
local Books are not allowed out of the Library.
considered reference & Usually worth hundreds & even Thousands to replace if lost or damaged

I had one historical society worker who wouldn't even let me touch their books.
Told me I could look at the cover but not touch. I'm glad he's long gone !

I needed a copy of a Local town history once,
so I put an add in the paper offering to Buy or rent a copy.
ended up I paid some elderly Man $10.00 to rent me the history for 2 weeks.
may be a bit harder to do these days, with most people afraid of everyone they don't know.

If you have the names of the histories, other options I've used,
Watch Ebay & Local auctions for copies

even though the Library won't let you take out the book, use their Copier. IF you wish to copy the whole book,
find a place nearby that makes copies for 3 Cents or less, then ask if you can
run there to make copies, then make sure You can get there & Back with the book the same day.
I'v been able to do this also.
I've stood in a Grocery store Photo copying over 800 pages of a Book
at double their normal size making them easier to read also, They had to replace Paper & Ink
in the middle :tongue3: took me several hours, but only cost me about $25.00 for a Complete 19th. Century
History that fit in 2 large binders

Picture 019.jpg

& Finally If your library has an inter Library service.
Sometimes there may be one library in your County or state that isn't picky
about Reference books. Have them ship it local or even to your house.

I Had a local library 4 mile from me.
were only open 3 hours a week.
I would have them get me reference books from other libraries & Show up 15 Minutes before closing.
They would give it to me to take home. :laughing7:

Last edited:

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Buddy up with the librarian or a local historian who maintains or frequents the room during your visits.

Once you locate some places and find some historical items, take a few of your best finds and mount them in one of those boxes that look like picture frames. Then donate them to the library for the historical room.

Goodwill usually has one or two of these boxes with seashells or flowers in it. Just take the seashells out, paint over the pink frilly stuff or cover it with a paper and mount your finds along with an old photo of the location.

When you do this, you will miraculously transform from "that guy" into a historian dedicated to preserving the past and you will might find it easier to both locate and obtain permission to enter the properties you wish to find.

Also, instead of gathering dust on a shelf or wall of your home, you and others will be able to see your finds on public display. Everyone wins.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see Jeff likes to put in a lot of work for his results.... :tongue3: I don't :laughing7:

If you own a digital camera takes pictures. If you don't own one; beg, rent, borrow, or steal one :laughing7: You can snap page after page as most cams have about 4-8 GB that is a ton of pictures. Now you can have it on your PC and enlarge the print to your desire.. :icon_thumleft:

P.S. Did you see the size of Jeff's book :dontknow: You could get a hernia carrying that bad boy :laughing7:

*** Also note:

Sit around and look shifty, people may think you're a spy and not bother you, wear sunglasses too :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You see Jeff likes to put in a lot of work for his results.... :tongue3: I don't :laughing7:

If you own a digital camera takes pictures. If you don't own one; beg, rent, borrow, or steal one :laughing7: You can snap page after page as most cams have about 4-8 GB that is a ton of pictures. Now you can have it on your PC and enlarge the print to your desire.. :icon_thumleft:

P.S. Did you see the size of Jeff's book :dontknow: You could get a hernia carrying that bad boy :laughing7:

*** Also note:

Sit around and look shifty, people may think you're a spy and not bother you, wear sunglasses too :icon_thumleft:

:occasion14: things have changed with the invention of the digital camera :laughing7:

Since EBay & the WWW I havn't found much need for Libraries though.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same exact thing here in Dayton TN (South East). I was shocked that the books couldn't be checked out. I was able to purchase the two most comprehensive books at the Chamber of Commerce. Really nice big hardbound books. One is on the general history and one more specific about churches and schools. Have to admit it was money well spent. I have really been enjoying them. At $60 each I am going to try and memorize them.

K

Kentucky Kache

:icon_scratch: So i took yalls advice and went to the librairy yesterday and got a lirairy card and was so excited. Well after getting the card i asked cld i b pointed to the local history of my town and she said rite this way but only thing is these books can not b checked out!!! Dangit!! But anyhow they had a special room of about 10'by 10' room that was filled with the stuff that i was looking for but did not have time to stay there and just read 100s of Awesome books that wld b very helpful on my metal detecting. On other hand i did see a special printer n this room to print pages but dang wut a bummer. Any other tips on finding this useful info any other way? I tryed internet searches and not a lot there. Thanks again guys.

In my library, not only are you not allowed to take those books home, but they keep them locked in large glass cabinets. A librarian has to unlock the cabinets, you select your books, and then take them to the front and check them out. You have to check them out, just to use them inside the library. It was a story in one of those books that got me into cache hunting. I recommend spending all the time there you can afford.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa had a valid suggestion. Ask if your library has "Interlibrary Loan or ILL" service. Sometimes, what is a reference book at your library, say the history of your town, may be a circulating (able to be borrowed) book at another library. Your library may be able to borrow the book from the other library. Not all libraries catalog their collections the same way. Ask your librarian to check if another library has a circulating copy of the book you want and ask her to order it for you through ILL. I work in a library and this is done all the time for patrons.

As other members have suggested, get to know the folks at your local historical society. They often have books that they will lend. Most states also have historical societies. They, too, may have books to loan or may be willing to copy information for you for a donation. Talk to old timers around town. Sometimes they will have books or papers in their own collections what they would be willing to lend you.

Good luck with your research! Let us know if and of these suggestions worked for you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread