Lightning Strikes Again: George Washington Inaugural Button!!!

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a chance on Sunday and boy did it pay off! I've been detecting this spot for years and it's produced some incredible finds including a GWI button last November. I know they were sold in sets so of course I continued to hit the spot trying to find the rest but without any luck. It's been getting progressively more frustrating and the hunt before this I found nearly nothing at all and I was almost at the point of retiring the spot completely. It doesn't help that 3/4 of the place looks like this:

thumbnail.jpg

It's a nest of fallen apple trees and brambles all locked together with bittersweet vines. Right now is the best that it ever gets with all the leaves gone and some of the brambles trapped under the snow and it's still mostly impassable. But finding one GWI is a serious motivator so I decided to give it another shot and focused on an area that was well away from the cellar. There are next to no signals and the ones I did find were mostly shotgun headstamps. Finally I got a solid deep tone and pulled out an amazing piece:

DSC01222.JPG DSC01224.JPG DSC01225.JPG

A complete colonial knee buckle! I've found quite a few in varying states of preservation but never before one that was 100% brass construction. That got the blood pumping so I started a careful sweep of the surrounding area and less than 10 feet away I got a solid and shallow 84 on the Deus. Usually that's a rifle casing, but to my complete surprise:

thumbnail3.jpg

Dandy button, and not just any dandy button but exactly the one I was hunting for!!!

thumbnail2.jpg

Even under the dirt I could see the tail feathers and the estoile. I packed that sucker in dirt and kept searching for three more hours until I ran out of light. A few other nice relics did turn up, but no more GWIs. That's okay though because one is in a hunt is more than enough! :hello2:

Cleaning these is always nerve-wracking. I already knew from other relics found here that the patina wouldn't be stable and would inevitably flake off so I let it dry and removed the flakes as carefully as I could. I whittle the tip of a bamboo skewer to a needle point and I tease the flakes off the surface so that there's no residue. The bamboo needs to be constantly resharpened, but it doesn't leave scratches and gets off all but the most stubborn bits. The few remaining spots I very carefully go after with a razor blade to shave off extremely thin layers of patina only without hitting the underlying metal. Finally I polish up the surface to give it contrast and the end result:

thumbnail1.jpg

The bend appears to be plow damage; fortunately not from the shovel. Amazingly despite that the shank survived and is still upright:

DSC01219.JPG

The details are sharp enough that I could count the edge indents (63) which makes this a GWI 12-C. According to georgewashingtoninaguralbuttons.com that's the scarcest variety of this type! And even more importantly that matches the other I found here last year so it fits that they're from the same set. Here they are reunited after over 200 years in the ground!

DSC01228.JPG

The question is are there 2-3 more hiding in the ground? I will keep looking, but if they are there it's going to be a challenge getting to the ground I haven't already swept over. The other finds for the day include some older drilled-shank buttons and a nice piece of furniture brass:

DSC01213.JPG DSC01221.JPG DSC01226.JPG

Talk about the perfect Christmas gift though. And, as if I needed further proof, a lesson in the concept of no spot ever being hunted out! :laughing7:

DSC01217.JPG

Upvote 57

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bergie

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2004
Great going - would the property owner let you pay to bring in a piece of equipment to move that stuff.

ROIGuy

Jun 9, 2019
Palos Park, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600/ Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find but I must say... early American Eagles sure were a sorry looking lot..
look more like a pigeon with mange than an Eagle. Congrats all the same on a well rewarded hunt!

OP
OP
P

paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great going - would the property owner let you pay to bring in a piece of equipment to move that stuff.

I talked to them about some sort of a burn pile, but it's such a large area and so much brush that even cutting it up and tossing it in a brush fire would be a major operation. Applewood is tough stuff too. Even after decades on the ground it won't just snap and has to be sawed apart.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Both of them are exceptional finds! Congratulations!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in awe of the condition of those buttons. Your cleaning technique looks to be super effective. What's your process for polishing the surface?
Major, major kudos on all of these magnificent finds!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most of us will never see one of those GW's in person, let alone recover two of them!!!! Terrific, HISTORIC finds! Way to persevere in your search, and a nice cleanup job, too. Wow. Congrats.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave this a banner vote, not only for the exceedingly rare button, but for re-uniting a set that were almost certainly a matched pair!

Outstanding find! You have my admiration and my jealousy!

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
Nice to have a pair.

g

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
As one of those that will probably never see one, I am astounded and thrilled for you! Congratulations!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the GWI !! The early brass is a great relic too ! - that's the sort of brass you see the Keno brothers getting excited about- on a Federal Period Highboy or sideboard or the like
on Antiques Roadshow !!

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding to say the least. Those two belong together and I would keep them together. Well done:thumbsup:

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AWESOME! This defines- “persistence pays off”! I’ll bet you could draw a map of the trees, gullies, and rises of that property from memory you have hit it so hard! -But there is the result! Two amazing pieces of history! Congratulations!

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Beautiful button

Great job on the restoration. It only takes one good find to make a hunt and I'd say that one was well worth it.

Jer

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all, great find !! Secondly, you know I don’t like you, right? Just kidding my friend (; if I were you, I would go back this time of year with a machete and do some clearing before it’s unswingable forever. I have a few spots like that and they do need “maintenance “ every now and then. I have a spot in Vermont that is absolutely brutal and I haven’t been back since this spring but the land owner told me there was a significant brush fire that cleared the area pretty good so I’m looking forward to gettting back at it. Keep up the hard work and get in there and find the other 5!!! Merry Christmas

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is just incredible!!! I thought I was on fire when I found a 2nd matching dandy to a really nice one I found. It's hard to comprehend this. Huge congrats on it! What a beautiful rare piece of history!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread