All I know about lightening-struck trees is, I don't wanna be around when it happens!! Back in high school, I was out in the shop when lightening struck a 100' pine tree just 20' or so away from the building. The lightening came down the trunk and, at about 10' up, jetted out into the ground. Under that ground was the buried power lines going from the house to the shop. Fortunately the surge decided to go the direction of the shop. It blew out light and outlet covers. Pieces of plastic went flying across the entire building!! Don't have any idea how it was I didn't need fresh Fruit of the Looms after that!!
Shortly after getting married ("some" years later

), wife and I were sound asleep when lightening struck a power pole and followed the line into the new house (we'd just lost the old house to electrical fire a few months before). It messed up the TV's, blew up the then-new PC, and destroyed the stacker washer/dryer. Totally disintegrated the vent hose, plus caught some lint on fire that was still on the dryer screen. We had 6 dogs at the time, I think. Every single one of those dogs was afraid of thunder after that. ...And for good reason, too!!
I didn't used to worry about walking outside in a thunderstorm. Guess I'm a wimp now, also.

...And the wife? She don't like it when the wind gets above 20 MPH in dark skies!! Funny though - she'll turn off all the lights in the house (at nighttime) so she can "see the lightening better". Says it makes her not as afraid.
