What's new

Likely Easy ID For Some (Solution by Crusader, Iron Spike gets Assist)

Mr Ripley

Full Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2009
Messages
160
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western PA
Hi all.

I dug this button recently and have been trying to ID it myself with no success. I am having a tough time finding an on line reference that helps.

First of all, I don't think it is really old. It has a great deal of rust scale on the back hiding the manufacturer name if it is there at all. I am considering giving it a tumble to see what happens. I am thinking it dates between the World Wars.

I am sure this will not hang in the "What is it" section for very long, and I would appreciate any expertice given! :notworthy:

(I am also reasonably sure that the one on the left is a 1998 US Quarter)

Mr R
 

Attachments

  • Anchor.webp
    Anchor.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 237
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

If you knew it was a quarter why did you post it? :laughing7: Kidding!
Nice button! Hope it turns out special but you may want to post a pic of the back side. Might help with identification and era.
Looks similar to a wool pea coat button. (pea coat or P-coat, I never knew, I just wore the dang thing)
 
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

GopherDaGold said:
If you knew it was a quarter why did you post it? :laughing7: Kidding!

Just showing off my formidable clad IDing skills... :wink:

Here is a pic of the back of the button, I guess that would be helpfull. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • back.webp
    back.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

Believe it or not Mr. Ripley, I think Iron Spike 'nailed' it!
Wow, 2 puns in one line!

Nice one Iron Spike! :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

Thank you Iron Spike!

I found a few that had the proper anchor logo as in your picture, but they all have an inner circle concentric with the rope circle on the edge of the button. Mine is an oval inside a rope circle. I don't even know if that is significant, I thought it may pinpoint the date further.

Am I over researching this?

Thanks very much for your help,

Mr R
 
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

Mr Ripley said:
Am I over researching this?

I don't think that's possible.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

Looks like another WaterBury Civilian Blazer Button in a Navy Style.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Likely Easy ID For Some

CRUSADER said:
Looks like another WaterBury Civilian Blazer Button in a Navy Style.

Would not find that difficult to believe at all Crusader. I am thinking I am going to tumble it to get a maker mark off of the back. Perhaps I will mask the front to keep the look, I kind of like it.

I will post the results, good, bad or ugly.

Thanks all,

Mr R
 
Upvote 0
Thanks you all for your help, this forum is quite a resource!! :notworthy:

Judging from the dump it was dug in, I would have to guess that this button must have been produced back to the thirties and forties.

Much appreciated,

Mr R
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom