Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting pics. Thanks jeff.

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
I was born and raised in Lima,and I seem to remember an old man telling me of a story of "the driving park" that he and his wife used to frequent in their day.Only difference is ,it held automobile races,and was located on the site of the current"Limaland Motor Speedway",a very popular dirt track.
Also,"Lima" is in Allen county.
Paleo10kbc

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just noticed the pics and must have overlooked the question. Yeah...Lima is in Allen county. Good looking out paleo10kbc.

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
I must recant my previous hear-say post and replace with fact.I found this while searching for info on another topic;

THE LIMA DRIVING PARK

The Allen county fair was first held in 1851 at what now is the intersection of Spring and McDonald Streets.
In 1867,it moved to an area at the present site of Lima Memorial Hospital.At the end of the 1800's,a five year period of heavy rains reduced attendance to almost nothing.
The fair board decided to sell the property to The Lima Driving Park in1903,which held horse,auto,and motorcycle races.(The Lima News)

I will post more as I find it.
Paleo

paleo10kbc

Feb 13, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter pioneer505
paleo10kbc said:
I must recant my previous hear-say post and replace with fact.I found this while searching for info on another topic;

THE LIMA DRIVING PARK

The Allen county fair was first held in 1851 at what now is the intersection of Spring and McDonald Streets.
In 1867,it moved to an area at the present site of Lima Memorial Hospital.At the end of the 1800's,a five year period of heavy rains reduced attendance to almost nothing.
The fair board decided to sell the property to The Lima Driving Park in1903,which held horse,auto,and motorcycle races.(The Lima News)

I will post more as I find it.
Paleo
Credit where credit due;this info was compiled by Robert Holdgreve of the Delphos Historical Society

stringfrenzy

Jun 8, 2006
NW OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus CTX Excalibur II E-Trac White's DFX Garrett Ultra GTAx 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info. Thanks for adding it.

dign4gold

Oct 31, 2008
The Driving park is now the site of memorial hospital. However, my father and I have found some great coins at lincoln park directly behind where the race track used to be. Also there used to be an old school at the corner of shawnee and market st. I found a 1906 indian head penny at the school, and my father found a mercury dime at the park.

Farout park is a great location if you can put up with the trash

nicolascage_68

Feb 2, 2009
lima,ohio
Detector(s) used
treasure hunter th-3050
dign4gold said:
The Driving park is now the site of memorial hospital. However, my father and I have found some great coins at lincoln park directly behind where the race track used to be. Also there used to be an old school at the corner of shawnee and market st. I found a 1906 indian head penny at the school, and my father found a mercury dime at the park.

Farout park is a great location if you can put up with the trash

WOW--great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread