Lincoln Cent Possibly Missing Clad Layer

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this 1998D a few weeks ago. It seems like it might just be missing its clad layer? It has some kind of residue on the obverse which I assume is just post-mint damage.

Assuming it is what I think it is, are these rare?

S20180117_0003.jpg

S20180117_0004.jpg

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It DOES look different than what it should.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The copper plating on the modern Lincoln Cent can have a multitude of colors, depending on the environments it has been exposed to. Yours is not unusual.

Finally time for coffee.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
If you watch the youtube channel videos, look at a recent video by "Coin Opp". Find his recent viewer submissions. There you will see the 1992-D Close AM featured. You have a very rare modern cent.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah if you believe Coin Opp. Watch his videos before, he doesn't have a clue, just pretends he does!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
worth 1 cent. plating is there, zinc is gray color. a 1998-D close AM is nuttin' :tongue3:

OP
OP
S

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It occurred to me that the lighting and such in the original pictures don't quite do it justice, so I grabbed a new picture showing a comparison between the silver-y 1998 and a new 2017 that I had sitting around.
Still not the best picture in the world, but it might help.

Thanks for all the help so far everybody (in this thread and others), you guys are great!

S20180119_0003.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you watch the youtube channel videos, look at a recent video by "Coin Opp". Find his recent viewer submissions. There you will see the 1992-D Close AM featured. You have a very rare modern cent.

I also don't understand what this has to do with the OP's coin. It isn't a 92D.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

If the OP's coin was a 1998-D "Wide AM" Lincoln Cent, then it would be rare and probably worth more than a 1992-P or 1992-D "Close AM" Lincoln Cent. (After 1992, the Business Strike or made for circulation Lincoln Cents should have "Close AM" Reverses while the Proof Lincoln Cents should have "Wide AM" Reverses. The exceptions are some of the 1993-S Proof Lincoln Cents which have both "Close AM" and "Wide AM" Reverses but neither have extra value, the 1992-P and 1992-D "Business Strike" Lincoln Cents with "Close AM" Reverses which are very valuable, 1998-S and 1999-S Proof Lincoln Cents with "Close AM" Reverses which have moderate value and 1998-P, 1999-P and 2000-P "Business Strike" Lincoln Cents with "Wide AM" Reverse which have some fair value over face.)

Last edited:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Rats ! I did it again. I can't sleep. I can't see. I can't breath. It's all the darn meds the docs have me on. Anyway, enamel7 is sooo right. The Coin Opp video has nothing to do with this coin. I like huntsman53's post a lot. I'm going to print it out.
He gives you coin roll hunters a pretty good idea what to look for these days. The old U.S. type coins are so pricey nowadays modern mintage are a good way to keep active in the hobby and find something worthwhile out of change.
Good Luck Everybody !

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Rats ! I did it again. I can't sleep. I can't see. I can't breath. It's all the darn meds the docs have me on. Anyway, enamel7 is sooo right. The Coin Opp video has nothing to do with this coin. I like huntsman53's post a lot. I'm going to print it out.
He gives you coin roll hunters a pretty good idea what to look for these days. The old U.S. type coins are so pricey nowadays modern mintage are a good way to keep active in the hobby and find something worthwhile out of change.
Good Luck Everybody !

I will point out to keep an eye out for other "Close AM" and "Wide AM" Variety Cents that are possibly suspected but no specimens have yet to be found as there are sure more than the ones I noted. There was supposedly a 1997-P "Wide AM" Cent (I believe) found but it was later determined to be a manipulated fraud, at least that is what I heard. Over the many years of production of Lincoln Cents, the Mints have had to pull Proof or Business Strike Dies from the vaults to finish production runs for some years which was approved by the higher ups but never divulged to the public, so there are likely many more varieties that exist. On another note, the 1956-P through 1964-P Washington "Type B - Proof Reverse" Quarters were struck with Proof Reverse Dies to finish production runs when the Philadelphia Mint exhausted all of the Business Strike Dies for those years. I am almost certain that I have seen 1965-P Washington Quarters that were also struck with Proof Reverse Dies but it did not dawn on me to check for sure before I spent them.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, if he found a 98D wide AM it would be the first one found ever!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread