Title Page.jpg

Contents.jpg

Page 1.jpg

Page 2.jpg

Page 3.jpg

Page 4.jpg

Page 5.jpg

Lost Lake of Gold.png

After reading Lovelace's version of this tale, I wanted to dismiss it as being highly improbable, but after reading another version that included more details the tale seemed to be somewhat credible. More substance was added to the tale after I used Google Earth to look at the rugged terrain of the High Sierras and the numerous small lakes/tarns located there above treeline, particularly the region in the high mountains south of Grass Valley/Downieville/Sierra City.

I've concluded that Lingard's discovery could be factual. Pure luck could have placed him at the right place at the right time. His failure to return to the gold might have been due to natural forces that changed the appearance of that location. Mountain weather can be very destructive.

See another version of "Lingard's Lost Lake of Gold" here:

https://raregoldnuggets.com/?p=1746

OP
OP
skyhawk1251

skyhawk1251

Nov 9, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's an example of the small mountain lakes/tarns found in the high mountains between Nelson Point and Sierra City. The many adjoining mineral claims in this region give ample proof that this is still gold-producing ground. The mountain slopes bordering this lake to the north are covered with drainage channels filled with boulders and gravel, as well as exposed bedrock. This lake is the kind of place where Lingard made his "lucky strike" and then lost it. The area of this lake is about 5.6 acres.

E.png

H.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread